Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESA I understand what you are talking about. This is the way I was trained in the spinning back kick too. By definition of turning your head you will lose sight of your opponent for a split second. Also, no one has addressed any of the balance issues that I brought up. I know that balance is an issue with any kick, but spinning kicks and techniques in general will amplify this effect because your center of gravity will raise because of the re-positioning of the feet combined with the inertia from the spin.

Think about a top. If you tap it while it is sitting still it just sits there. If you tap it while it's spinning it in effect bounces of the contact because of it's own rotational inertia and because the center of gravity has been moved higher. In martial arts combine this effect with darkened conditions and uneven ground and you would have a VERY difficult situation.

EvilTed
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: World Oyama Karate San Francisco under Sensei Seito. 2cnd Kyu.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ushiro Geri can win the fight with one hard kick to the liver.
We throw it in a kake-ashi dashi method too.
Basically cross the non kicking leg in front off the other so that this pivot leg's heel is pointing towards the target.

Knee up, pivot, look over shoulder and let them have it with the heel in a fast, hard thrusting motion.

It's probably one of the most powerful and deadly kicks in the Kyokushin style(s).

As far as turning your back on your oponent, yeah that's a bit weird at first, but you throw it at the end of a set up technique like gedan mawashi geri to the outside of your oponents front leg or when they are backing away from you.

ET

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it heard it referred to as ushiro yoko geri because instead of putting your knee up in front of you it comes up facing away or back. As for why would anybody spin or turn away ask Mr Ueshiba he might have a few pointers about the merits of circular motion

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no one addresses my other points. I'm disappointed.

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked to look at the teachings of the father of aikido to answer you questions, for I believe you would respect his opinion more than mine because he specifically taught about such things. It is too bad that your cup is so full that you missed the fact that I did address your point in the most respectful way possible and you chose to ignore it. I'm disappointed that martial artsists exsist that have all the answers and none of the mastery

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with any technique it takes years of practice to learn and sometimes longer to fully grasp the essense and application. Some things that you have trouble seeing now will become clear eventually... if you practice long enough .

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to intentionally be disrespectful. However, I did ask for anyone to address my question plainly with a logical argument without the great and wise karate cliches. I still haven't got that yet.

Ninjanurse, I see the applications for the techniques I'm just alluding to the fact that you have to over commit for these spinning techniques. If you miss you are in a WORLD of trouble. I'm also
referring to a real world scenario, not a dojo training session.

I realize that there is always more to learn and that is what I'm attemting to do. I would like to understand a practical use for these techniques on the street against a trained opponent. I still practice the techniques but I don't employ them except occasionaly in free sparring. I don't completely throw away techniques because I disagree with them. I just tend to shelve them until I can find a valid use for them. All I want to know is a practical use for any spinning technique. What I'm looking for is an instance of a spinning technique where you wouldn't over commit. I'm just trying to have a discussion here and perhaps learn something.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you completely and I don't think any one here means to be disrespectful-it's all in how we perceive what others are saying.
My point is that you may not get an answer to your question, you may have to find the answer yourself because we are all in the same boat and may not have the answers ourselves. Whatever you train will be what you use in a fight-the practicality will depend on the scenario itself. No two opponents are the same, no two fights are the same...so I think it is difficult to speculate. If you train a technique enough you will find it to be practical when the time is right...or not! That's the best answer I can give as I haven't been in enough real fights to draw experience from.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't over commit on any technique Sasori
As for teaching you a purpose for a spinning back kick that just doesn't seem like your purpose, perhaps I asume too much but it seemed like you were telling us that it was a waste of time because you weren't sure what it was for. With an attitude like that you can't teach anybody anything. If misjudged then I apologize

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I think we understand each other. I agree, you should never over commit on ANY technique. That is exactly my point. Once you start the spin you are totally committed to , at the very least to finish the spin if you see that the target has moved. At most you are automatically overcommitted if you don't notice your target has moved and you miss landing the desired technique. I'm a big guy at 6'0 and 230 pounds. I'll be the first to admit that my spins are too slow (compared to someone smaller than I am at the same experience level). I have personalized my karate style as I believe that most people must in order to maximize my chances for success. Being my size with very fast hand speed and average foot speed, I tend to fight in close. I train to take a little in order to give a lot. I tend to jam spinning techniques and fight in very close range. I have practiced defending against spinning techniques for many years, since I was an orange belt, and have become proficient at it ( I got caught on the temple with a spinning crescent kick even though I saw it coming for a mile). At any rate, I've learned to see that spinning techniques are very perilous to perform. I would actually classify them as sacrifice techniques. Every technique has it's place thrown at the right place and the right time. With proper timing all things are possible. *L*
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: