Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

I-Self
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Be careful... Reply with quote

The spinning back kick is good to know. It's a very effective sparring technique. Even the jump spinning variety has been used effectively by non-karateka in Pride (watch Sakuraba's old Pride matches).

For the street don't do it. Then again, it might be case specific. I did see a friend of mine use it outside a club once when a bunch of knuckleheads were threatening to kick his * from a small truck. He walked up to the driver and asked "what did you say" and when the guy proceeded to open the door he did a jump spinning kick into the open window that landed square on his face. Those dumbfux drove away real quick! Hahaha! Believe it or don't, hahahaha!

There is no "Do" without "Jutsu"!

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it as a finishing technique. After you hit the offender a couple of times and he is moving (hopefully staggering) backward it can work quite effectively. I personally am more of a puncher, for me to use it the guy better be half dead on his feet or hes just going to get a fist or an elbow.
When you get a little older you tend to economize on the fancy movements.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. At nearly 34, fights tend to hurt more now than they did when I was 19 or 20. I tend to be extremely brutal now and nothing fancy. The less time spent dealing punishment also lessens the time spent receiving it.

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool you are correct Sasori we all personalize our kumite technique to our strengths and weaknesses. I have quick hands and feet and use a spinning side kick in several different ways against jammers, backsteppers, counter-attackers etc. I have been using it with great success for many years. I tend to use it in combination with hand techniques which throws off some and also as a counter technique but it depends on the fighter as do all things.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: