Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With asthma the difficulty is not so much the breathing in, but the breathing out. You would also possibly hear some wheezing and your chest would feel tight.

You have probably just over-exerted yourself, esp after a month out of training - ease back in GENTLY! However you could also have started your heart racing too hard, which might also cause the faintness and difficulty in breathing. You should see your doctor to ensure that this is not the case (unlikely but possible!)

As for eating, a LIGHT meal an hour or 90 minutes before training, with complex carbs to keep you going throughout the training - your muscles need energy you know! Also I disagree with the person who said that one shouldn't eat after training. You have used up a lot of energy and need to start to replenish. Again, something light so that you do not overload the digestive system as during training your body will have diverted blood away from the gut to service the muscles. If you eat too soon you might get a bit nauseous. Something like a banana, eaten slowly, should be good.

I also think the culture of martial arts denying people water during training is not medically sensible. But there you go!

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, meant to say too that if breathing is laboured, sit in a semi-recumbent position (sitting propped against a wall, or leaning slightly forward) People with asthma often get relief by sitting at a table, leaning forward on their elbows, but if you are faint you need to be on your back with legs supported and elevated. o__/

Bits
(first aider and emergency ambulance volunteer)

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply bitseach. I went again yesterday and I felt much better. next time i'm not gonna eat 40 minutes before going to tkd lol.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bitseach .... good work! Totally agree ....
Sounds like you just went beyond your limit Hiya .... remember to breathe properly too!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: