Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what would you do? a fancy kick, or a deadly technique?

Traditional karate (which in my opinion is the most effective) teaches only kicks that go no higher than the waist. How is that fancy?

MMouse
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it funny how alot of traditional martial artists get irritated when someone attacks their art, yet some are quick to attack another.
Boxing is what it is. It is far from a complete system, but boxing is a highly skilled art. Boxers use intricate footwork, head movements, slipping, bobbing and weaving, blocks, feints etc. Typically all of these area's are trained extensively because if they aren't, your gonna get punched, bottom line. Boxers train to box, full contact, and if you are lacking in an area, you will get hit. Any art can take this approach, but I don't think that many approach it in the same manner.
I am not dissing any art, nor method of training, simply trying to explain what makes boxing what it is. If you can use your hands and have all the tools I mentioned above to help utilise your hands, then you are going to do great. Any art can apply these ideas and increase it's effectiveness. In Bruce Lee's books he talked a great deal about these above skills. He was an example of what any art, or artist could achieve with the right accesories to use the tools with.

Guy_Mendiola
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Boxing and Tae Kwon Do.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right MMouse.

Venezolano
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, TKD, Karate.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who says i can't you? LOL!

Of course i can, i talk because i have base in what i am talking about, i've trained Karate (shotokan) and i've not seen any school that do "hard sparring" (i'm not saying it doesn't exist, it could be, but is very extrange).

And MOST, MOST school are competition-oriented, you can say whatever you want, i know what i am talking about, and that's the truth.

shotokanwarrior wrote:
you can not prove that.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyokushinkai karate guys spar hard. When I was training karate, I was training under a japanese guy who was raised and trained in japan and he loved to spar hard. He also told me that his school wasn't like many others there though...

Venezolano
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, TKD, Karate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Seven Star

Justfulwardog
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Boxing/Ryu Kyu Kempo/Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to box when I was 16. I am now in Ryu Kyu Kempo, and also compete as a kickboxer. I base all that I learn on the principles that boxing has taught me. I love the art of boxing.
Although you are confined to the techniques and rules of your form. As Bruce Lee once said(not in those exact words). I must admit that I did feel a little vulnerable, while I was an amateur boxer. Like my boxing coach once said, what you do on the heavy bag, is what you will do in the ring. I felt that what I did in the ring is what I would do on the street. I found I was right in my first exibition match. I went into the classic boxers stance and had my front leg blasted to the point that I could not maneuver. I now switch between a muay tai stance and my boxing stance, depending on range.
I think that boxing is the most practical method of delivering strikes, such as pressure points. The most powerful aspect of boxing, is not the punches(although I can't knock them). It is the maneuverability that it teaches, both offensively and defensively. But that is just one man's opinion.

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is the maneuverability that it teaches, both offensively and defensively. But that is just one man's

Can't disagree with that..

Coudo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: boxing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The most powerful aspect of boxing, is not the punches(although I can't knock them). It is the maneuverability that it teaches, both offensively and defensively.

w3rd
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12
Jump to: