Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ghost
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: When are you all going to realise that boxing actually exist Reply with quote

No One seems to react to any posts listing boxing as effective. It seems to be constantly pushed to the back and not regarded as a martial art or even a fighting system.
I think most of you are too scared of it.
I think the rest of you cant face the fact that something that seems so simple is so effective.
I would like to point out that boxing is highly complex and the most underated system in this forum appart from a few and they know who they are anyway.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I don't think we have a lot of people on this site who do traditional boxing. Therefore the style doesn't have a lot of representation. Perhaps you can help contribute to the representation of the style, just as long as it's in a respectful manner

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mentioned boxing several times. I think many of the people here are die hard traditionalists and think that

1. boxing is only a sport
2. since it has no kicks, locking, etc. it can't be as effective.

If you notice, bjj and thai boxing get looked at the same way here.

My guess is those who don't think it's effective have never sparred with one.

Neil
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing, Muay Thai, Kickboxing is brilliant and will beat almost anything in the ring. However.

Boxing is not and never was meant for the street and does not work. True the boxer will have a very strong punch but the boxing it self wont work

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see what I mean? no real experience with a boxer. Some of the meanest streetfighters I knew were boxers and wrestlers.

unknown
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think boxing is a very effective fighting system. i myself am a full contact kickboxer and i can see the effectivness of boxing.

i dont believe in traditional punching, blocks and stances.....you are left too vunerable because you are way too static. sure they deliver shots with alot of power but one shot will never be enough for many people out there. i also train in jiu jitsu as well but i still choose not to fight like that. id rather use my boxing and kickboxing skills and deliver a bunch of shots that have a decent amount of power to eventually wear down my opponant
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Ryan
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: When are you all going to realise that boxing actually e Reply with quote

Ghost wrote:
No One seems to react to any posts listing boxing as effective. It seems to be constantly pushed to the back and not regarded as a martial art or even a fighting system.
I think most of you are too scared of it.
I think the rest of you cant face the fact that something that seems so simple is so effective.
I would like to point out that boxing is highly complex and the most underated system in this forum appart from a few and they know who they are anyway.

I have never made any representation of my opinion about boxing. However since it was brought up, here goes.

By the true clinical definition of martial art, boxing would have to be included. Boxing is characteristic or befitting of a warrior.

I am not scared of it, and I dont think anyone else is. Now, if the boxer is 6'6 and 280 lbs, I might be scared of HIM, but that would be true no matter how he trained (unless of course his only bicep workout was lifting the beer to his face while on the couch). I digress.

Simple is not effective. I think you are right with this assessment, as Im sure a lot of people think that way. I personally think it depends on the particular athlete. One of my current instructors (4th dan TKD) formerly boxed exlusively. He can beat everyone in my school (other than the head instructor) without lifting his feet off the ground. So I agree, it CAN be effective.

Yes, boxing is complex.

Ghost
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies I feel i have maybe opened the can of worms that has been waiting to be opened here but someone has to do it.
Neil.
I dont know how to put this politly but you have NO IDEA what you are talking about NO IDEA AT ALL>
People like you infuriate me.
I intencely hate the boxing isnt an art and isnt self realistic because they wear gloves etc. It is so misunderstood.
Please get some understanding of what your talking about first.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it respectful guys...if you don't agree with somebody's opinion just say so, but take a deep breath before you respond. Keep your temper out of it

As for my opinion: I'm sure that boxing is a great art and is effective just like any other combative art or style that does sparring. It has its own set of strengths and weaknesses and compensates for them, just like any other style does/should do.
However, how many of us non-boxers have ever gotten the chance to fight someone with boxing experience? I certainly never have. Therefore I cannot make any sort of assumption as to whether or not I could beat up a boxer, or vice versa. When I say this, I of course mean a boxer of my same height and weight, giving an equal playing field as martial artists. If the guy was 6'6, 280 lbs. I would cry and run away, hoping he's not a track star, too

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Ghost
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats more what i would expect MonkeyGirl.
We get so many people claiming Boxing is no good and yet have no experience of it.
Its fine to say "I dont know" but i hate it when people say boxing is useless but know nothing of it.
Its time this one was thrashed out now i feel.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12
Jump to: