Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. and why in our Dojo any test cycle is a closed to the 'public'!

Children and parents alike are spoken to in person and in private should they fall lower than acceptable to grade!

Quote:
Too many posts to quote and chop up...

They all cover the points that matter and should be adhered to if not the "we-con-you"/McDojo types will grow in number!!

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkmoon wrote:

Children and parents alike are spoken to in person and in private should they fall lower than acceptable to grade!

Quote:

They all cover the points that matter and should be adhered to if not the "we-con-you"/McDojo types will grow in number!!

I have heard of this and even seen it once, well technically I DIDNT SEE IT because I wasn't allowed lol! I never understood it or at least cared for it. Testing being a private event I mean. I feel that part of life is failing at things, and should they fail I understand wanting to make it private BUT sometimes when you fail at things you are going to do it in public, this is what gives us character. Think Kobe Bryant taking the winning shot and missing it... His fail in public drives him harder, it's the moment that brings the best out in is.

I'm a fan of laying it all on the table, win or lose!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
Hawkmoon wrote:

Quote:

I have heard of this and even seen it once, well technically I DIDNT SEE IT because I wasn't allowed lol! I never understood it or at least cared for it. Testing being a private event I mean. I feel that part of life is failing at things, and should they fail I understand wanting to make it private BUT sometimes when you fail at things you are going to do it in public, this is what gives us character. Think Kobe Bryant taking the winning shot and missing it... His fail in public drives him harder, it's the moment that brings the best out in is.

Solid post!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate seeing when students fail grading, but then again at the end of the day it is up to them whether they pass or not.

I have spoken to many parents in the last couple of months and none of them could understand why their child failed their grading.
And what I had to do was explain to them that it isn't just given to them but they have to work for it. and that effort has to be put into what their doing.

Personally I have seen several people who have failed, some have taken it well and worked harder than before to reach that level that would allow them to pass. But then on the other hand i have seen some of them failing and taking it really hard.

I know when i tested for my Nidan i gave it my all and was physically and mentally hit hard because of it. Because I know that I would want to truly earn it by giving 100% of myself into it. It was to the point where I got home and cried in the shower because i was so mentally worn out.

Parents should know that yes they pay us to teach their child whatever MA it is they are wanting to learn. BUT the child still has to meet those requirements to be promoted. We are in a way the "experts" in our field and that we will do our best in teaching their child but they have to take the time and effort into the promotion.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
Hawkmoon wrote:

Quote:

hehehe I hear you!

A public display does put what I feel is correct pressure on the person being graded. I wrote once in a post in the forum something along the lines of:
" ... a grading costing enough to make you think am I good enough, but not cost you a second mortgage..."
That to me is easily translated to emotional cost as well!
"Can I stand up in front of all these people and fail, and if I do can I recover from it?"

If you cannot say yes, your not ready!

A closed grading is to me normal only because I'ver never experience any other form of grading as a student, sure I watched my son but kept silent as it was his club his teacher there standard and there wants and expectations, nothing at all to do with me or mine in any way.
... but that only supports the discussion about informed and not informed persons, me being an informed Karateka and not an accountant with a degree in bean counting!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkmoon wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:
Hawkmoon wrote:

Quote:

hehehe I hear you!

A public display does put what I feel is correct pressure on the person being graded. I wrote once in a post in the forum something along the lines of:
" ... a grading costing enough to make you think am I good enough, but not cost you a second mortgage..."
That to me is easily translated to emotional cost as well!
"Can I stand up in front of all these people and fail, and if I do can I recover from it?"

If you cannot say yes, your not ready!

A closed grading is to me normal only because I'ver never experience any other form of grading as a student, sure I watched my son but kept silent as it was his club his teacher there standard and there wants and expectations, nothing at all to do with me or mine in any way.
... but that only supports the discussion about informed and not informed persons, me being an informed Karateka and not an accountant with a degree in bean counting!

Solid posts...both!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very last thing a test needs is an audience. In fact the less people present the better it is for everyone involved. Anyone who is not being tested or doing the evalution has no business being there.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
The very last thing a test needs is an audience. In fact the less people present the better it is for everyone involved. Anyone who is not being tested or doing the evalution has no business being there.

Yes and no. My daughter is 5. I'm not leaving her alone. Especially at the dojo where she could get injured. Older kids and adults, sure. Depends on the age.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:

Couldn't (respectfully) disagree more! To me, it's the game that soccer, baseball, and other sports have. It's a time for people to see the hard work and cheer you on. At my testing so do it as I have always seen it. Family and friends are welcome. It's a big day for student, and support of family and friends is well deserved. It helps to make the families more involved. I see grandparents and other family members show up that I NEVER see in normal classes, to show support. I think it's a very positive thing.

I can't imagine too many benefits to testing a being closed but I'm open to hear somebody's argument?!?

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
Spartacus Maximus wrote:

Couldn't (respectfully) disagree more! To me, it's the game that soccer, baseball, and other sports have. It's a time for people to see the hard work and cheer you on. At my testing so do it as I have always seen it. Family and friends are welcome. It's a big day for student, and support of family and friends is well deserved. It helps to make the families more involved. I see grandparents and other family members show up that I NEVER see in normal classes, to show support. I think it's a very positive thing.

I can't imagine too many benefits to testing a being closed but I'm open to hear somebody's argument?!?

Dan testing in my former organization was closed to adults. Accord to my Sensei, it was because they wanted you to earn it on your own, without a security blanket of parents/loved ones' support. Trying to remember how he put; he said it better than I just did and in more words. And there are far less distractions. Kyu testing is one thing, dan testing is another. At some point, you've got to do it on your own and not have someone else pushing you or have someone else there to appease.

There's also the integrity of the test to consider. Part of the test is not knowing what to expect. If you've seen a few of them, you're going to "study for the test" rather than focusing on training as a whole.

I think most places don't allow an audience for dan testing. I think most allow spectators at the end when belts are awarded. Ours wasn't closed because we were doing secret techniques that were too dangerous for outsiders to see or anything like that. I've heard some use that line or other things as ridiculous. Way too much mysticism in MA if you ask me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: