Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Coonaxus
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, ad, I don't recoginze 2 of those forms you mentioned, but Charp Choi sounds like something we do in Hung Ga. I'm not sure how it's spelled exactly, but it sounds like Chop Choy; but it's not a form. It's just a strike. From a basic standing position, you sink down into a horse stance towards the person (the person will be on one side of you, not in front of the horse) and at the same time, your punch goes in a downward/outward manner, but you twist your fist so that the thumb is on the bottom. It's basically meant for rib shots.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, well I was just reading about Hung Gar last night... try this link:

http://www.leesshaolinkungfu.com/hungpractice.html

This has an explanation of the five elements/animals theory.

What I found interesting is mention of a "thousand pound horse stance" in Hung Gar... This reminds me of the first of 48 self defense diagrams in the Bubishi... The winning technique is called "1000 pounds falls to the ground", and shows a guy droppping into a low horse stance, to escape a grab/bear hug.

Could this show a Hung Gar influence on later Okinawan karate? Anyone with info on this "1000 pound" (literally 1000 catty, an Asian measurement close to 1 pound) stance?
Anyone know where I could find some list of other "old style" names for kung-fu techniques?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: