Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Hudson1984
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Lowestoft. There are classes but unfortunately they are around 90 mins drive from me which mean I'd have to leave work early which I just can't do unfortunately. I'm prepared to travel for classes for sure but at the same time I have to be practical and 90 mins to and from class just isn't feasible for me.

But haven't looked at Goju Ryu so that's another one to take a look at but judo is ideal if it pans out, class is twenty mins away and the sensei does private lessons which is perfect.

But yes would love to give kyokushin a go, just haven't seen any classes that I could get to regularly unfortunately

Kyonovice
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hudson, adter a quick google search just for Karate Clubs in Lowestoft (I Know the area is quite big, I have relatives that way), I came up with these other karate clubs, I cannot vouch for the clubs individually and some of the styles are ones that I have not trained in but might be worth a look:

http://www.karatelowestoft.co.uk/index.php?start=6

States to be based on "traditional" styles of Wado Ryu and Shito Ryu. Has been about as a club since 1979 so must be doing something right!

Or there is this place who state they do Kyokushin

http://eafaobushidocentre.wix.com/wwwbushidocentre/kyokushin-karate#!__kyokushin-karate

They have very little information on their website and claim to be some not for profit organisation that appear to have all sorts of martial arts going on. Looking at the Kyokushin page of their website, it seems to only be juniors, but it might be worth while giving the sensei a call and explaining what you want to do, they might be able to help.

Hudson1984
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya. Areas pretty small to be fair it's only really a pain going form town to town like here to Norwich or into ipswich, trying to do that regularly is a right pain

First suggestion I actually looked at too before I started shotokan but no one ever came back to me unfortunately but had dismissed it since as I don't know a lot about the style but if it adds what I'm looking for it might well be worth having another look

Second is a no. Trained there before, my opinion is it wasn't great. People go certain enjoy it but it definitely isn't kyokyushin. It's many centred around the mma scene. I never felt a great trust in the instructor either to be honest.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the guys from Lowestoft, I used to be in the same organisation, and they were good at what they do. A lot of the curriculum involves a focus on Bunkai and Kata, but there are opportunities for competition training and for international courses in Okinawa and other countries. If I was not in an organisation that better suited my needs, then I would definitely still be with them.

Kyonovice
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that's fair enough, I would certainly have a look at the first one again, pop along and see what it's like, what do you have to lose?

Hudson1984
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all have to drop.in or give them a bell. I'll do a bit of research on the style too. Hopefully I can tick my box off one way or another

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... have a look here for a Kyokushin dojo near you.
http://www.bkk-uk.com/Dojos.asp

Not sure there is that close to be honest!

Hudson1984
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but really very close, couple of hours drive each way.

U have actually found one in Bury St Edmund which is about 90 mind drive but they have Sunday sessions so I've emailed asking if they'd mind me coming along on a fortnightly basis, after all I will still be practicing during the week in stye that are hopefully similar in some respects - I'm not expecting to progress as quickly as I have with shotokan however being as I'm looking for additions to shotokan it might work out well.

This would mean crosstraining three styles, I'll get fitter for sure! And hopefully get the all round effectiveness I'm aiming for. I'll keep you all posted....have to start a blog lol

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judo is a great pair with karate! Any style in my opinion. My Sensei offered Judo 2 nights a week to help us out with competitions.

When I competed, if you got close enough to your opponent, you could take them down and score a point. However, you couldn't just rush in and try to throw him on the ground. I think it complements karate very well, especially in tournaments, because sometimes you'll be going at it and next thing you know you're in the perfect position to sweep his leg and get him down. Most who don't practice Judo would miss that opportunity in a tournament.

Good luck!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hudson. I suggest you take up some Okinawan weapons training for starters and round it off perhaps with some Samurai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: