Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Throwdown0850
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Judo, BJJ, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
ying&yang wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Training reaction time is a good idea. However, one should keep in mind that action is always faster than reaction.

mmmm True but not 100% of the time, reaction can be faster believe me.

How? Anticipation may be faster, but there are some simple drills you can try out to see. Put a towel on your shoulder, with it hanging evenly in the middle. Now, you stand with your hands down, and when you partner tries to grab the towel, try to stop him. Most of the time, you won't be able to, because you can't react until he acts. This automatically puts you behind the curve.

You move quick grasshopper. sounds like a good idea to try? is there any others??

ying&yang
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD , and 15 others

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you have a good poitn and sure for many martial artist this is the case. But when you train enough and fight enough you will soon learn the way of predicting what your oppoent is going to do , and after a while it will become certian.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be the case, but anticipation and reaction time are not the same thing. And when you make assumptions, you will eventually be wrong.

ying&yang
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD , and 15 others

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh but that is the risk you take. Life is about risks , it keeps the heart pumping. lol

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwdown0850 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
ying&yang wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Training reaction time is a good idea. However, one should keep in mind that action is always faster than reaction.

mmmm True but not 100% of the time, reaction can be faster believe me.

How? Anticipation may be faster, but there are some simple drills you can try out to see. Put a towel on your shoulder, with it hanging evenly in the middle. Now, you stand with your hands down, and when you partner tries to grab the towel, try to stop him. Most of the time, you won't be able to, because you can't react until he acts. This automatically puts you behind the curve.

You move quick grasshopper. sounds like a good idea to try? is there any others??

To add to this drill, after doing it like you did above, you change things a bit. Now, as the defender, get your hands up in a fence position, or an interview position, and then allow your partner to grab for the towel. Now try to stop him. You will have a much better chance at stopping him now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: