Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Practice/implement jumping jacks in to your warm up.

Practice your jumping kicks on a hanging bag.

Jump over things.

Jump as high as you can bringing your knees to your chest; be careful not to knee yourself in the chin, as this can happen. Oopppss ouch!

I like that you said practice jumping over things. I have a child/pet gate for my daughter who is 19 months old. I jump over it often to stay on my toes lol! No question it helps me, so great advice.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All excellent posts, here. Thank you!

I found this to also be quite helpful. The breakdown is nice for those who're new to the technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62t9UkmKWTs

What do you all think about this?

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:

I found this to also be quite helpful. The breakdown is nice for those who're new to the technique:

Jesse's video is right on target across the board!! Start with Jesse's video, then add the jumping onto of and/or over things. Most gym's have stationary platforms to jump upon of varying heights.

Remember what Jesse, in the video link you mentioned, says about jumping at the very end of his video...that, I believe, needs to stay at the front of your mind at all times.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

Jesse's video is right on target across the board!! Start with Jesse's video, then add the jumping onto of and/or over things. Most gym's have stationary platforms to jump upon of varying heights.

Remember what Jesse, in the video link you mentioned, says about jumping at the very end of his video...that, I believe, needs to stay at the front of your mind at all times.

I watched Jesse's video and agree mostly with the points made. Interesting point at the end though I'm struggling with how the jump translates to dropping quickly Can you explain this one as I feel like I'm missing the point.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

I watched Jesse's video and agree mostly with the points made. Interesting point at the end though I'm struggling with how the jump translates to dropping quickly Can you explain this one as I feel like I'm missing the point.

I think its more of from a standing position, you drop quickly to do the sweeps or whatever he's getting at. Learning to jump, and then land, and the landing translates to the drop. That's what I'm thinking, anyway.

Overall, its a pretty good video explaining the mechanics of jumping, using the whole body, as its meant to be used. The guys is a bit excited for me, though.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
The guys is a bit excited for me, though.

Agreed. His presentations are a bit overwhelming in that sense, but I find that's about par for most internet-personalities, however.

But yeah... he pretty much nailed what I was struggling with, and that's the landing. Another issue I was having, and realized it fully during last night's class, is that we are frequently either practicing these kicks without a target, or hitting a shield. The first one leaves you vaccuously performing the technique, and the other has a target that doesn't want to move. Last night, one of my instructors used a focus pad. It provided a target, and allowed me to complete the kick by going through the target, and not bouncing back some. I was way more confident about performing the technique and landing.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about that. Any Taekwondo instructor worth his salt will not "care" how high you jump. It is not emphasized as much as people percieve it to be. There are legit 5 Dans who barely get off the ground so you are in good company.

There really are no good tips... Some people jump better than others.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
Don't worry about that. Any Taekwondo instructor worth his salt will not "care" how high you jump. It is not emphasized as much as people percieve it to be. There are legit 5 Dans who barely get off the ground so you are in good company.

There really are no good tips... Some people jump better than others.

Some jump better than others but you can still train to be better. That's like saying someone who's naturally inflexible shouldn't try to stretch.

singularity6, you can also look at vertical jump programs for track and field athletes and for sports like basketball. A program like this would help you: http://www.basketballforcoaches.com/vertical-jump/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

The dropping quickly, as seen in Kata, from time to time, as it's related to that Bunkai, can be a trip or take down or throw or some other application; what one sees in a Kata is not always what it truly is, depending on the Bunkai/Oyo!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps looking in to the subject of plyometrics will help you get higher.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics

Plyometrics, also known as "jump training" or "plyos", are exercises in which muscles exert maximum force in short intervals of time, with the goal of increasing power (speed-strength). This training focuses on learning to move from a muscle extension to a contraction in a rapid or "explosive" manner, such as in specialized repeated jumping.[1] Plyometrics are primarily used by athletes, especially martial artists,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: