Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Any ideas on "practical" Kihon combinations? Reply with quote

I saw Andy Allen on YouTube with a few decent ideas on this, but I’m wondering if anyone has some info they can share - or if you’d like to get together on zoom to discuss this further, I’d love that!

Example of “classic” kihon:
- High block
- reverse punch
Example of “practical” kihon:
- parry/pass an incoming punch or grab, pull down on he arm as you punch to the face.

(I apologize if I’m not using the correct choice of words)

In other words, I’m looking for ways to come up with some kihon combos that I can have my students practice up and down the floor, then for each kihon combo, there’s a practical self defense technique that we can practice on each other afterwards (based on the kihon combo).

I’m sure this is what kata is for, but I’d like to get creative with this project and just need some help getting started. If you have any resources or advice that you can share, I’d really appreciate it!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a link to the video you watched?

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Zaine!

Here’s the link below. In particular, I was referencing the last combo that he demonstrates in the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EbI4O6Ve--Q&t=308s

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread initially had an empty subject line because of an issue with our community software, making it hard to access it. For this reason, I wanted to bump it up one time to ensure others will see it. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Uechi-Ryu we don't have kihons per se, but we have our hojo undo (supplemental exercises). For example, one is "circle-block, straight punch", or "circle block, chop, backfist, one-knuckle strike". These mirror sequences that are commonly found in our kata. We practice these at the outset of almost every class.

However, from time to time, we'll practice them "across the floor". Meaning, we'll line up in two opposing lines at one side of the mats. One partner will execute a series of lunge punches, and the other partner will defend using the hojo undo techniques. When we get to the other end of the mats, the partners switch roles and move in the opposite direction. Lower-ranked students are expected to perform the techniques exactly as performed solo. As a student advances, they are encouraged to find new applications for the techniques. For example, one sequence is "circular block to open the opponent up, mawashi-tsuki (hooking punch) to the temple". However, an advanced student can also practice different stepping (step back at an angle), blocking to cross instead of opening, or picking different appropriate striking points (side of the neck, ribs, temple).[/i] In advanced classes, we'll then rotate partners so you can practice with someone else.

I find this practice very useful, especially when they rotate partners, because you get used to working your basics against an actual attack, learning what works and what doesn't. For example, with my size and strength I can usually plow right through most people's blocks unless they get them just right. Most of them learn that the best way to deal with a much larger opponent is to get out of the way, or redirect instead of trying to block head-on.

This may be specific to Uechi-Ryu, but the principle holds for any discipline -- pick a defense and a counter and practice them on an opponent who is actually trying to hit you. You'll figure out what works and what doesn't.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:
Thank you Zaine!

Here’s the link below. In particular, I was referencing the last combo that he demonstrates in the video.

I found this quite informative! I think I will pick a few and try to get some work in on them when I can find a partner. My kids may become my partners....

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve started putting together my own one steps based on every major karate technique. I’m going to play around with them, experiment, and see what I can come up with and report back.

If anyone else would like to contribute, I’d greatly appreciate it! Just share some thoughts and ideas. Anything helps.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Practical" is based on the perception of the practitioner. Effectiveness must be examined carefully. The video link offered is a decent starting place. In your OP you demonstrate your understanding of the difference between "classic" and "practical".

I instruct my students to drill the "practical" Kihon but not until they have a respect for the "classical" Kihon because the "classical" gives birth to the "practical", which is both natural, and most importantly, natural across the board.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first example of "practical kihon" is literally the basic application of the first movements of the first kata that I teach, which is called, appropriately enough, Kihon Ippon.

I mention this because the kihon-waza are all present in kata, and the kata already put them into combinations for you, in most cases, so I just teach those applications in that manner. I have, of course, broken some things out for extra repetitions, such as a variety of parry-pass drills, as well as a sticky-hands uke-waza drill, and blend those into my other platform drills (kakie, for example). All of it pretty naturally forms connections as you work in this manner, and my students have picked it up pretty well.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:
Thank you Zaine!

Thanks for sharing, subscribed

Not a day without a kata
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: