Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um I was just curious for a moment but I was wondering if anybody had ever tried or considered training in a swimming pool. I would guess that the water would add much overall resistance to all of your techniques and although yes you can attach bungee cords to your legs and arms that maybe this was a more creative and fun way to practice once in a while. What are everyone's thoughts as to how effective this may be. Humor me, LOL

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - when we go on our annual camp we train in water - although this is more of a test for the mind than the body. Last November there were a dozen of us stood like nutters in the sea doing punches, kicks, pushups, crunches etc. Brrrrrr..... Very brrrrrr

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only way I would train in water would be a heated pool, or Miami beach.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, but i seen a black guy on a nike commercial do it... Monkey see Monkey Do!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have. I have done some kata and practiced kicking techniques in the local pool. During non busy times of course. The water adds resistance and slows down the movement. In the water with the slower movement you can concentrate on the movement and work on how you are doing the movement in a way you cannot do on the floor.

It adds an element to you training unlike any other.

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I havent but if you go swimming and kick your legs its almost like a kick and when you move your arms it's also almost like a punch so in that way yes

Maybe if you consider treeding(sp?? ) water.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trained in water many times, mainly at training camps in a river in the middle of winter at 5am. Sheesh!!

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle of winter?! Yikes. Wouldn't freezing muscles make them less flexible. Oh well, technically you would not be able to do any resistance kicks above chest level anyways since your head is probably above the water. Anyways I admit that if I were to do water training I would try it in a nice heated pool simply just to get the resistance effect. Ice cold frigidity is just too much for me LOL. *whimper whimper*

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I guess it's not too uncommon I have read in more than a few places that many masters recommend training at both the hottest part of the day (middle of the day and early in the morning, I suppose) and the coldest part of the day to increase tolerance for the harshest of conditions.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-13 16:05, spinninggumby wrote:
Middle of winter?! Yikes. Wouldn't freezing muscles make them less flexible. Oh well, technically you would not be able to do any resistance kicks above chest level anyways since your head is probably above the water. Anyways I admit that if I were to do water training I would try it in a nice heated pool simply just to get the resistance effect. Ice cold frigidity is just too much for me LOL. *whimper whimper*

You cant argue with a 9th Dan at 5am LOL

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: