Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knuth,

I'm niether supporting or condemning your choice. I'm simply stating the fact that everyone better know the laws where they live before they make that decision.

Not that it really makes a difference, but your example is of home protection and an intruder, not carrying a weapon around the streets with you.

Aaaaand, I've only been in CT for 4 yrs. Before that I lived in Texas for over 20, where one of my favorite mottos was:

"Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be prosecuted." :bigwink:

[ This Message was edited by: KSN Doug on 2002-06-18 08:44 ]

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn right I'm afraid to defend myself because of the laws we have over here, I'll do anything I can to avoid a fight. If one happens though then I won't even hesitate to finish it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knuth - that's okay old boy - no offence taken then!

We do have strict laws here regarding offensive weapons but apart from quite hard-core criminals the UK is a fairly no-weapons society. Yes, it's true that the UK police are not armed (with the exception of the Police Service of Northern Ireland, but they are even talking about disarming that police service) but there is also great opposition to increasing the availability of arms in society or by law enforcement officials.

Perhaps it's because we don't have so many dangerous animals that we'd need to kill, that weapons are not as widely tolerated here. To someone in the US this might be seen as a bad thing, but here we simply don't need to defend ourselves as violently as you might have to.

Likewise here "liberal" is not an insult, it's usually seen as someone who is educated, decent and compassionate. Social care and healthcare are highly regarded here and liberalism is seen as contributing to a more tolerant society. The UK is by no means utopian but many people recognise that racism is a lot less here than other countries in Europe, Africa and the USA.

Terrorist attacks in the UK (which there have been for decades) did not result in many flags being displayed here, or a great ground-swell of patriotism, but the football World Cup HAS. It's just our psyche! All in all, I'd not choose to live anywhere else!

Bits'
(ex-British Army and quite patriotic myself!)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: