Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jukadowarrior
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: anyone here practice Jukado? Reply with quote

Hello. Does anyone here practice Bruce Tegner's art of Jukado? I was wondering because I recently bought off line a copy of his Jukado book.When I researched online I found a Jukado school that says Jukado is a blend of judo karate kung fu and aikido and that the founder of the school created the art of Jukado in 1972 and coined the name then as well and when one person brought up Bruce Tegner and his book a student if that school refuted it saying the book was published in 1974 after the school was founded when the books publishing history stated the book was first published March 1968 and Bruce Tegner states on page 23 of the book. Jukado was founded in 1963.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the name, but never seen a school, or spoken with any practitioners.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!

Its funny because last august I was deeply obsessed with it. Exactly last year. That being said, my style is boxing with karate/kickboxing. That being said, I try to incorporate judo throws once clinch happens but only with few partners I trust. That being said, I wonder if Bruce Tegner has any students today who are well versed in it and are willing to teach upon request.

EDIT: Regarding the school refuting it, its odd since a little research can discredit their claim.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of it, but mostly only because I have seen some of Bruce Tegner's work. I'm not all that familiar with the style, itself. As for the name, I think people get too caught up on who named what first. In the 60's and 70's, the internet wasn't around yet, and it's entirely possible for two people to name their style the same thing, using what they know of Japanese. Notably, I know that Robert Trias, founder of Shuri-Ryu, had been calling his style Shorei Goju-Ryu for a while, until a Goju-Ryu school in Japan complained about it. He had no idea there was already a school using that name for their style.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have every single one of Bruce Tegner's books in my library; they were laid out in a systematic manner, and I found them educational. Until now, I've not looked at them in quite a while; had to dust them off, so to speak.

Jukadowarrior
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
I've heard of it, but mostly only because I have seen some of Bruce Tegner's work. I'm not all that familiar with the style, itself. As for the name, I think people get too caught up on who named what first. In the 60's and 70's, the internet wasn't around yet, and it's entirely possible for two people to name their style the same thing, using what they know of Japanese. Notably, I know that Robert Trias, founder of Shuri-Ryu, had been calling his style Shorei Goju-Ryu for a while, until a Goju-Ryu school in Japan complained about it. He had no idea there was already a school using that name for their style.
True there are times when different peeps name their arts the same thing but from research as to the name Jukado Bruce Tegner coined it first in 1963 despite a Judoka schools claim their founder founded both the art and name of Jukado in 1972. Well if i can't find a Tegner Jukado school I can use my prior martial knowledge to take my copy of His Jukado book and start reconstructing it and revive the system

e0richt
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is an old thread but I think I found one of the guys that demonstrated techniques with bruce tegner:
Richard Windishar

https://fi.pinterest.com/pin/335096028503036431/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: