Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Darce
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shukokai Karate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will continue forever too. If it doesn´t get boring...

Jussi Häkkinen
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will, occasionally. Trust me.
Finland

Practise is the Key
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my clubs alot it not as big as shotokan but kenshukai is the most desciplin syle and hardest which we lack ceremony and tradition but shotokan have alot of cremony etc. 10 out of ten student that have been doing kenshukai and shotokan karate says kenshukai is very desciplind its never lack tenicque.

Am 7th kyu (ho) tommorrow yes!!!

stl_karateka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu & Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little over the 5-year mark. I never really thought about it as a big deal. Someone told me recently that until you reach 10-year mark it is still a hobby to you. I don't know if I agree with that...maybe its that American rush rush nature.

I have karate goals and life goals....and as long as my karate goals don't interfere with my life goals, I will continue training!

Kita

ShirKhan
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been kickin' it since 1976. Every year the bones get creakier and the tactics get sneakier.

RobinT830
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu; Yamanni Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there everyone. I have been training in Goshin Jutsu for about 6 years now and am a certified Shodan rank.

I have had my ups and downs, but it is a way of life for me. I am actually thinking of trying another style.

Cheers!

sano
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: shidokan karate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i better be in mma with in five years.

Jussi Häkkinen
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl_karateka wrote:

I have karate goals and life goals....and as long as my karate goals don't interfere with my life goals, I will continue training!

Kita

For this attitude I give my highest recommendation.

And about the 10 year mark and karate being hobby until then...well, it'll be hobby after it, also. Actually, best thing is that all the excessive stuff has dropped away and now karate is just karate. Not a "lifestyle", not a vehicle for "perfection of character"...it just is karate. No need for more.
Finland

Cheradenine
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been training for only a year and a half now and I plan to continue for as long as I can.. I just can't see myself ever wanting to call it quits.
Missing training to me is like when I used to smoke and would run out of cigarrettes.. I get all cranky and fidgety!

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tao wrote:
I started with basic judo when I was 8 years old, I'm now 37, and still going strong with my studies. You'll find there may be times that you have to put your classes on hold, or you get discouraged with the school you're training at. Take a little time if you need it. Always read anything that interests you about different styles. The more you study, the more diversified your abilities, the better martial artist you will be.
I have studied judo,wing chun, akido, shaolin gung fu, jeet kune do, arnis, kali, wah lum gung fu, small circle jujitsu, ryuku kempo, kyusho jitsu, toaism, budhism, and I'm still searching to see what works best for me. Do not limit yourself to one way of thinking. Keep your tea cup empty when you come to drink at the table of knowledge, and you will go far with your studies.

That's very good advice.
I've been training shotokan for about 3 and 1/2 years and I'd like to think that I could carry on indefinately, but who knows? Anything could happen to prevent me from training - my sensei could retire from teaching, I could move to another part of the country without a shotokan dojo nearby, I could have a serious injury that could force me to stop training. I hope that none of the above happen, because I'd like to keep training in shotokan for as long as I can. However, you've got to keep an open mind. I might even start another style of martial art and 'prefer' that to shotokan and therefore give up the shotokan. I can't ever see that one happening, but you never know! Anything is possible, especially in the martial arts world!!

Sheffield Steelers!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: