Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Practise is the Key
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Anyone whos going to continue doing Karate over 5 years? Reply with quote

Just want to know beacuse am planning to continue forever.

Thanks.

Karate is an art of mind and body.

karate helps:

*Fitness
*Confident boosting
*Fun

Your worst oponent is you.

If my sensei's practise 3 times
I must practise 6 times.

Jussi Häkkinen
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend http://www.24fightingchickens.com/ -website for you. Read it carefully. When you feel that you disagree with it, think about it and ask yourself _why_ do you disagree.

Karate for life? Nice. Shouldn't be impossible - but shouldn't be anything incredibly special either.

I haven't personally thought about for how long I shall be training karate. One and a half decade soonish, but I don't set myself any goals in it. I train as long as training feels good. Somehow I smiled at that "over 5 years" and at that bold statement of "planning to continue forever".

Well, let the time tell. Don't stress over it.
Finland

Sho-ju
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Karate, judo and jujitsu.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence to the author of 24fightingchickens or his devotees but all he’s done is switch Japanese culture for North American and in so doing proclaims the Japanese way as inferior. He’s doing the same thing that he accuses the Japanese of doing.

I've been doing martial arts all my life, shotokan for almost 15 years. I don't see myself stopping the study anytime soon. I've even picked up a cane to study for my old age.

Jussi Häkkinen
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sho-ju wrote:
No offence to the author of 24fightingchickens or his devotees but all he’s done is switch Japanese culture for North American and in so doing proclaims the Japanese way as inferior. He’s doing the same thing that he accuses the Japanese of doing.

Interesting idea. I see his work as saying that Japanese way is not superior, but equal. And his thoughts about training can stand under a serious evaluation. You can drop the cultural side and national side away and still get valid stuff.

I'm from Europe and feel myself as European. I still see his points as valid ones. Especially when concerning about "karate for life" -aspect.
Finland

CheekyMusician
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in karate for a year so far and I'm still loving it, but who can say what will happen in the future?

I certainly don't intend giving it up, unless I absolutely have to because of health problems or whatever, but I don't know what will happen that might make me quit.

I've just started Uni, and I'm already finding that that's getting in the way. I finish at 4pm on my karate night, then have to catch the underground, then a bus home, then walk home from the bus stop, so I usually get in the house for about 6pm. I have to be up at 6am to get in for 9am lectures, so by the time I get home I'm generally tired, cranky and hungry. I have to quickly eat some dinner, get changed and I leave the house at 7pm to get to karate. It'll be worse when the uni starts piling the work on, too, so who knows what might happen to my karate?

Its really the only thing that I can drop from my weekly activities, so I might find myself having to, although I certainly hope not.

TangSooGuy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been training for nearly 19 years now, and I'm really just beginning to see how everything comes together, starting to make new discoveries every time I train, now, so sticking with it has it's rewards...by this time next week I will have received my promotion to 4th Dan, and the fun is only just geginning, so I'd definitely say I plan to be a"lifer"

Tao
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Praying Mantis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with basic judo when I was 8 years old, I'm now 37, and still going strong with my studies. You'll find there may be times that you have to put your classes on hold, or you get discouraged with the school you're training at. Take a little time if you need it. Always read anything that interests you about different styles. The more you study, the more diversified your abilities, the better martial artist you will be.

I have studied judo,wing chun, akido, shaolin gung fu, jeet kune do, arnis, kali, wah lum gung fu, small circle jujitsu, ryuku kempo, kyusho jitsu, toaism, budhism, and I'm still searching to see what works best for me. Do not limit yourself to one way of thinking. Keep your tea cup empty when you come to drink at the table of knowledge, and you will go far with your studies.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been in for 10 and dont plan on stopping anytime soon.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how long I'll be training Karate but i plan to stay in the Martial Arts as long as i can. Hopefully until the day i die.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has allready been over five years for me too.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: