Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ahazmaksya
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My back has been caning for a while now, I can't run, kick a ball or do anything really.
It is my lower left back and it runs right down into my left leg.

Do you think I should see a doc, or am i just complaining and I should wait for it to get better by itself.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a muscular spasm, see a Doctor

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the pain on one side only (unilateral)? Is it severe? Is the pain located behind the thigh and down the inside of the leg (sciatic pain)?
Is the pain NOT located behind the thigh and down the inside of the leg (nonsciatic pain)? If the pain travels down the legs below the knee (which suggests pressure on the nerves as they leave the spinal cord) I suggest you see a doctor immediately.
However, if its just a spasm as AO sugguested then pain usually lasts for 2 to 3 days and may be followed by weeks of less severe pain. Low back pain usually involves spasm of the large,supportive muscles alongside the spine.
The spasm is caused by muscular strain and is usually confined to the back. Occasionally, it may radiate into the buttocks or upper leg(s).
I seem to think it may be piriformis syndrome ... a condition in which the piriformis muscle irritates the sciatic nerve, causing pain in the buttocks and referring pain along the the path of the sciatic nerve. The nerve pain, called "sciatica", often goes down the back of the thigh and/or into the lower back. The pains is deep in the buttocks, which is made worse by sitting, climbing stairs or performing squats. The affected leg is often externally rotated (toes point out) when relaxed, such as when lying face down on the bed with your feet over the end of the mattress.

A combination of massage (try tiger balm!) and stretching (gently) the piriformis like this:

Pretzel Stretch (start off by lying on your back, bend your knees and cross your right leg over your left so that your right ankle rest on your left knee in a figure four position. Then bring your left leg towards your chest by bending at the hip. Reach through and grab your left thigh to help pull things toward your chest.)
Standing active stretch (lift injured leg, rotate leg inward, pointing toward other leg, and hold for 10 seconds, repeat).
Lying down active stretch (lying down face down, bend your knee at a right angle so that your lower leg is pointing straight up, now rotate your leg so that your foot moves outward, away from you, when you reach maximum stretch hold for 10 seconds, repeat).
Lie on back, flex injured hip and knee, grasp injured knee with uninjured-side hand, pull knee towards uninjured-side shoulder, grasp just above right ankle with injured-side hand, and rotate ankle outwards.
Stand on your uninjured foot, place injured foot on chair such that injured knee and hip are flexed at about 90 degrees. Now, using injured side hand, press the injured knee across towards the other side of the body while keeping the ball of the injured foot on the same spot of the chair.
Other: Important to stretch iliopsoas (rest on bent knee, injured side, and slowly roll forward).
Good Luck and when in doubt or in pain that disrupts training ... go see a doctor!

Ahazmaksya
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the stretches..they seemed to hit the spot.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey glad to hear that Ahazmaksya ... now take it easy!! Don't overdue!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: