Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Slim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking about getting two sets of safety gear and getting some friendly sparring going on, I'de like any advice from anyone that's done the same or similar, or people who are teachers who organise sparring at their clubs.
Thanks.

GoldDragon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats a great idea.
When I was a kid, me and my brother sparred all the time in the backyard.
Just be safe and dont get to carried away
----------------------------------------------------

Represenitive for Paltalk.com
*-*-*-*-Mouser (Palhelp)*-*-*-*-*-

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, make sure you don't turn it into back-yard WWF.

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just dont get it too carried away or make rules!!!

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't make rules?! I'm sure a few rules need to be placed when sparring... Thinks like no eye gouging, no biting and such. Sheesh, no rules is a fight.

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-09-24 15:54, thaiboxerken wrote:
Don't make rules?! I'm sure a few rules need to be placed when sparring... Thinks like no eye gouging, no biting and such. Sheesh, no rules is a fight.

well it depends on what kind of fight like for fun or a blood fist fight!!!1

Slim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'de better have at least a no groin hits rule! Do you think head protection is a must, how many of you people use it? Bear in mind that the guys interested that Ive talked to mostly have little or no martial arts formal training, so Im expecting some unorthodox styles! Personally Ide like to keep it light to develop timing and correct technique, and work on power after that.
I appreciate the comments, keep 'em coming!

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a philosophy I like. Pound the bags, not your partner. If you are sparring, it's good to keep light contact. Here are some sparring tips.

1. Don't try to win. If you are trying to "win" then you aren't really learning. Sparring is a training method, not a fight or competition.

2. Don't try to be faster than your partner. Often, when a person is worried about being really, really fast, their technique goes out the door. Instead, work on timing and form. Keep your guard up and use good techniques. Again, if you try to be faster, then youare really trying to "win" and you aren't learning.

3. Make a goal. The obvious goal of "i want to hit them more" isn't a very specific goal. Try to make specific goals when training. Something like "I want to see how many left-hooks I can land." Don't tell your sparring partner and go for it. Goals can vary, try to set take-down goals, kicking goals, blocking goals, counters and others. Don't set too many goals at once. Try to learn something about how you can achieve your goal. It will give you further insite into the specific technique.

After the sparring sessions, discuss with your partner what your goals were and what his goals were. Give each other feedback on what you 2 felt about each other's effectiveness on achieving the goal.

4. Smile. If you aren't having fun, you aren't learning. Take your sparring serious, but not so serious that you will get frusterated if you aren't achieving your expected goal. In the Filipinno martial arts we don't call it "sparring" we call it "playing" and we keep that type of mentality.

5. Mix up the sparring. Full "no rules" type of sparring usually ends up in the same situation of it's done everytime from the beginning. You'll usually end up rolling around on the ground not learning anything but grappling. Try to mix up the rules. Make one person use only boxing technique and the other use only kicking. One person can only strike, the other can only grapple. Mix things up like this and you'll gain much insite into the strategies used by different styles of fighters.

6. Use safety equipment. This is especially important for beginners that don't have much control over what they are doing. Experienced people have accidents too. The great thing about safety equipment is that if you mess up, you can keep trianing. Without that equipment, you might get injured and it could be a long time until you can train again.

7. If you can, video-tape the session. You'll be amazed at you cna break yourself down by watching yourself after a sparring session. It'll be much like watching a boxing match. You'll probably be going "well dang, why didn't i just.. ". Video tape is a great training aid.

Just a few tips.
Ken

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i have to agree with Ken - its only a sparring match, not a death fight!!

C ya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to arrange sparring patterns,like basic one step but freestyle.Practice advanced techniques.Really put the pads to use.And most of all,CONTROL.

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: