Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archimoto wrote:
Wow. Sounds like a similar situation to the one I was in.
On the one hand the decision is easy - and ultimately it's the one that you'll make.
But on the other hand, it's the relationship that makes it so difficult.
Breaking up is hard to do, but living with yourself if you don't is harder.
Does that make sense ?

Absolutely...

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split recently, all I can say is do it!!!
It is your journey but the way we work we sometimes "obey" our seniors, if they are not steering things in the direction that you want to go then you must either try to reason with them or move.

If you are lucky it will be because of differences in opinions and the devide will be amicable, my personal experience included a self grading, self teaching CI who was getting worse due to not training properly themselves. It was also more evident that making money was more important than standards and grading people early to try and give out a good image of lots of senior grades - it was turning into a joke. The last grading I sat on included a few people on their first grading who had only just got their Gi, a family member + friend who passed without question and someone with 18 months odd experience grading to 1st Kyu - even though they missed moves from Kata etc.

I have stated that my door is open to all students regardless, a few train in both the old school and my new school, most of my students have been okay with the name change but a few have been told lies about me and my integrity.

Funnily now though some more students are coming my way as they are seeing through the bad ethics of the old school...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mal103 wrote:
Split recently, all I can say is do it!!!
It is your journey but the way we work we sometimes "obey" our seniors, if they are not steering things in the direction that you want to go then you must either try to reason with them or move.

If you are lucky it will be because of differences in opinions and the devide will be amicable, my personal experience included a self grading, self teaching CI who was getting worse due to not training properly themselves. It was also more evident that making money was more important than standards and grading people early to try and give out a good image of lots of senior grades - it was turning into a joke. The last grading I sat on included a few people on their first grading who had only just got their Gi, a family member + friend who passed without question and someone with 18 months odd experience grading to 1st Kyu - even though they missed moves from Kata etc.

I have stated that my door is open to all students regardless, a few train in both the old school and my new school, most of my students have been okay with the name change but a few have been told lies about me and my integrity.

Funnily now though some more students are coming my way as they are seeing through the bad ethics of the old school...

Solid post!!

As I'm a Senior Dan, I don't tolerate other Seniors addressing their students and reports as though their way is the only way, and therefore, demanding total submission to their ways because their a Senior Dan. All advise from a Senior Dan should be treated like any other advice...at the discretion of the practitioner!!

Yes, they've been on the floor longer, and they may have some solid advice to pass onto those who desire it, but for advice to be taken, the practitioner has to decide if what's being offered is effective and beneficial to that practitioners MA betterment. Just because they've been on the floor for such along time doesn't mean that their advice won't creak, just like the floor in which they're standing on.

Be careful! Be cautious! Be mindful! Be respectful! Be attentive! However, don't be fooled or bullied into adopting their methodology/ideology just because they're a Senior Dan.

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sensei8"]
mal103 wrote:

Be careful! Be cautious! Be mindful! Be respectful! Be attentive! However, don't be fooled or bullied into adopting their methodology/ideology just because they're a Senior Dan.

Yep! Yep! Yep!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: