Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shorin Ryuu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryukyu Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Very Very Long post on belt systems.... Reply with quote

This is something my karate instructor put in our manual. He's a big history buff, martial arts history especially, has done extensive research and these are his words (of that I am 80% sure...)

In Japanese and Okinawan society, there is a very strict social class structure. It is similar to America's "upper class", "middle class", and "lower class". In Japan, in the early 1900's, this social class structure was as strong then as it still is today. Karate was just beginning to be taught on mainland Japan even though it had been thriving on Okinawa for many years. Due to this social structure, you had all three classes training together. Some upper class students felt they deserved better treatment than the middle and lower classes. Funakoshi, Gichin, founder of Shotokan Karate sensed this problem from the very start. He felt that a uniform was necessary in order to make everyone equal in the dojo. The karategi is a combination of the hakama and the judogi (already being used by Jigoro Kano’s Kodokan at this time). Traditionally, white was the only color and it was used to signify purity and also served to remove the class distinction in the dojo. Prior to this inclination, traditionally Chinese and Okinawan martial arts teachers and students were only given teaching certificates from their instructors at the time they had acquired enough knowledge to begin teaching themselves. This was the only traditional means of promotion.
Here in America, the concept of equality and unification among fellow karateka has somewhat been discarded. Practitioners have traded the pure white uniform for gis that have "stars and stripes" as well as many other colors and styles. In some classes, the gi top is left out in favor of T-shirts.
One of the most frequently asked questions at dojo in this country is, “How does your "belt system" go?” By this, the person is asking how one shows levels of achievement in their dojo. Of course, any information not known and any techniques learned is an achievement, but for some people, it is necessary to have visual proof of achievement. For both Eastern and Western cultures alike, the obi was introduced to the martial arts to award the practitioner with rank certification.
Before an explanation of rank certification is given, it is necessary to discuss the history behind the obi. The obi is also a relatively new addition to the martial arts. In the beginning, there were no rank certifications, only titles. In China, one was considered a master, instructor, or student. On Okinawa, the titles of Renshi (trainer), Kyoshi (teacher), and Hanshi (Instructor of teachers) were the only certifications awarded.
The man credited with inventing the Dan/Kyu System was Kano, Jigoro, who also was the founder of Judo. Judo has been practiced on Okinawa since the 1920's. Funakoshi, Gichin, had met Dr. Kano while in Japan. Funakoshi, himself a teacher and a very educated man, was very impressed with Dr. Kano and decided to use the Dan/Kyu system in his teaching and awarding of rank certification. In 1924, Funakoshi awarded seven men with karate's first Black Belt Dan.
In 1937, Miyagi, Chojun, founder of Okinawa Goju Ryu, was the first karate expert to be awarded the title of Kyoshi. The next year, the Butoku Kai (butoku translates into "martial virtue") called for a meeting to discuss the standards for awarding rank certification. By the 1940's & 50's, anyone receiving a menjo (rank certification) had to have a member of the Butoku Kai sign the certificate recognizing his achievement. What this meant was any certifications issued were done so by an individual or organization that had set standards that were recognized by similar prestigious individuals or organizations.
The Dan/Kyu System did not take hold on Okinawa until 1956, when Chibana, Chosin formed the Okinawa Karate Association. Chibana, Chosin is the first Okinawan to name his type of karate shorin-ryu and was the first president of the Okinawa Karate Association. Chibana and a man named Toyama, Kanken were the only ones recognized by the Japanese Ministry of Education to grant rank certification no matter what style of karate one was studying.
In 1964, the Federation of All Japan Karate-do Organizations (FAJKO) was formed as the governing body for all karate, and by 1971, a standard system for issuing rank certification was adopted. This system is still in use today.
The original colors used for the obis were white, brown, and black, but today, especially here in the United States a rainbow of colors have blossomed. This sprang from the American need to see all levels of achievement, no matter how minor.
In this dojo, the colors used are those issued by the hombu dojo in Naha of the Kobayashi Shoinkan Shorin-Ryu karate system listed below. Students are taught that the obi does not make the difference in the student. Wearing a black obi does not make one all knowing or make their karate better, in fact, the wearer of the rank of Shodan (1st degree black belt) is frequently characterized as one who has “mastered” the basics. In the end, it's skill and character that earns rank and turns the student into a disciplined karate practitioner.

My instructor says he longs for the days when there were only the white, brown, and black belts...and he says that all this commercialization makes him sad (he doesn't charge us for our tests and certificates...he doesn't even get paid to teach us).

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it isn't the belt system that is the problem but rather the people who are giving out the belts.

belts are symbolic and are a way of showing your achievements but instead it has been made to be like a award system.

instead of trying to get your black (or whatever) belt, it should be awarded to you by your sensei when he feels you have earnt it.

like i said, it is the people that are the problem.
and money has an evil grip over too many people.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

daeinwolf
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Fighting(MMA)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my school(Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu), I pay $33 a month and testing is $50 each.

I find this to be a bit steep. I also feel that the belt system is a little much. If you wish to have a way of distinguishing how "good" you are, get on the mat and go at it. Let your knowledge speak for itself. There are no belts on the street.

Sastimos---Joshua

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$33 a month is pretty cheap! Add in the $50 for testing and that's still not as much as some of the students at my dojo pay. Don't think of it as $50 for testing. Think of it as $83 monthly tuition.

Unless you test twice a week.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

daeinwolf
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Fighting(MMA)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you examine other dojo's, you are right. But I am very cheap...

Sastimos---Joshua

Tamojin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Seven Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school only has yellow green and black sash - and the tests are free - never heard of paying for a test.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

EvanCA
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: TaeKwon Do

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any form of rank is a skam, ones ability can not be measured by the colour that there uniform is held togeather with.

But what does a red belt like me know anyway eh?

Tigerspirit
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN MY ORG(i.s.k.a). WE ARE TESTED EVERY & MONTHES UNLESS UR A BLACK BELT THEN ITS 1 YEAR OR 2 OR WHAT EVER UR GOING FOR AND WE ARE ALL GRADED BY SENSEI OTHA(japan instructor living in england) and its 45 or 50 for a kyu grade, 80 for shodan and 100 for higher. i think its been a while. no one can force you to grade if you prefer not to or dont agree with it dont do it. simple as that. dont let anyone tell you you have to grade.oss

Shotokan-Nidan

Tigerspirit
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN MY ORG(i.s.k.a). WE ARE TESTED EVERY 6 MONTHES UNLESS UR A BLACK BELT THEN ITS 1 YEAR OR 2 OR WHAT EVER UR GOING FOR AND WE ARE ALL GRADED BY SENSEI OTHA(japan instructor living in england) and its 45 or 50 for a kyu grade, 80 for shodan and 100 for higher. i think its been a while. no one can force you to grade if you prefer not to or dont agree with it dont do it. simple as that. dont let anyone tell you you have to grade.oss

Shotokan-Nidan

kajukenbo dad
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pay $10.oo to test.....I think the light bill is more than that!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck and the great feeling to be test for your next belt!!!! price less
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: