Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: best type of cardio to supplement martial arts training Reply with quote

What cardio exercise do you all prefer to add to your martial arts training?
jogging, swimming, biking, etc.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tie...Swimming and Battle Ropes!! I'll do the Battle Ropes first, then jump in the pool...Both are quite refreshing as well as great workouts.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second battle ropes, but also Tabata intervals of bagwork; 20-30 seconds of high intensity striking, 10 seconds of rest, repeat.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
I'll second battle ropes, but also Tabata intervals of bagwork; 20-30 seconds of high intensity striking, 10 seconds of rest, repeat.

Solid post!!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on your end goals. We're looking at two different types of cardio work here: Aerobic and Anaerobic. Both are important to martial arts, but your specific goals will determine what you want to focus more on.

Both aerobic and anaerobic refer to the air we get as we do the exercise. Aerobic means "with air" and generally refers to exercises we continuously that last longer than 2 minutes. Anaerobic means "without air" and refers to exercises that we do with such intensity that our bodies struggle to oxygenate cells in the short periods of time we are moving.

Aerobic exercises are things like running, swimming, biking, or any other prolonged activity you enjoy with no breaks. This trains our bodies to better take in air. It allows our heart rates to stay lower over a sustained amount of time. It also trains us to breath better through long pushes.

Anaerobic exercises are things like HIIT, weightlifting, and strength training in general. These are workouts that focus on what your muscles can do while they aren't being actively oxygenated. They are exercises that focus on created sustained power throughout an exercise while also raising your ability to sustain desired intensity through thing like sparring rounds. I enjoy doing HIIT because while it is largely Anaerobic in nature, it touches on Aerobic health as well and teaches me, psychologically, to better handle multi-round bouts and sparring. Furthermore, if I become bored with a certain routine, I can switch exercises in and out of the plan to keep it fresh.

Like I said, your goals matter when choosing what to do, as does access to the equipment necessary to do these things. I enjoy HIIT, for example, not only because it is varied but because I don't need equipment to do it. It can all be done with bodyweight.

At the end of the day, the best supplement is an exercise that you enjoy doing. Starting a routine is difficult, and the more you dislike it, the less you want to do it. If you like biking, that's your jam. If you prefer swimming, then swim.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sensei8 and Wastelander

Battleropes!!
I cannot believe I failed to notice that!
I used to have some short, inexpensive ropes that I had purchased from Amazon years before, but they weren't long enough, and I didn't have the room where I was residing at the time.
I'll research purchasing new ones.
I also like the idea of tabata, so I'll look it up on YouTube or create my own program.

Quote:
It really depends on your end goals. We're looking at two different types of cardio work here: Aerobic and Anaerobic. Both are important to martial arts, but your specific goals will determine what you want to focus more on.

Both aerobic and anaerobic refer to the air we get as we do the exercise. Aerobic means "with air" and generally refers to exercises we continuously that last longer than 2 minutes. Anaerobic means "without air" and refers to exercises that we do with such intensity that our bodies struggle to oxygenate cells in the short periods of time we are moving.

Aerobic exercises are things like running, swimming, biking, or any other prolonged activity you enjoy with no breaks. This trains our bodies to better take in air. It allows our heart rates to stay lower over a sustained amount of time. It also trains us to breath better through long pushes.

Anaerobic exercises are things like HIIT, weightlifting, and strength training in general. These are workouts that focus on what your muscles can do while they aren't being actively oxygenated. They are exercises that focus on created sustained power throughout an exercise while also raising your ability to sustain desired intensity through thing like sparring rounds. I enjoy doing HIIT because while it is largely Anaerobic in nature, it touches on Aerobic health as well and teaches me, psychologically, to better handle multi-round bouts and sparring. Furthermore, if I become bored with a certain routine, I can switch exercises in and out of the plan to keep it fresh.

I would like to include more cardio to my routine, In order to increase my endurance for Karate training and JJ sparring.

Drilling before rolling doesn't really wear me out in JJ; rolling is when the majority of the effort is put in.
For Shotokan, I actively participate in cardio during the entire lesson (Kihon, Kata, Kumite).
Shotokan moves along more steadily than JJ.
In JJ, there is a lot of pressure and weight manipulation with your numerous partners.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely recommend a HIIT routine, there are a number of good ones to be found online. Once you get used to the process, you can start to sub in exercises you enjoy and create the routine that works best for you. That will help you maintain muscle performance during rolling.

The cardio can be whatever you want. Sounds like you have a pretty good idea on where to go from there when it comes to cardio.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanted to let you know that I purchased the battle ropes!

With HIIT

I actually began with a short jog before getting one of my older DVDs (Tapoutxt) and starting some exercises from there.

See, prior to all of this, I was merely relying primarily on my class sessions to provide me with exercise for the day, but I still felt really out of shape while sparring and believed that more should be done.

I've noticed a difference since incorporating those into my routine.
During rolling sessions, I immediately noted that I had not gassed as usual and had continued without taking a break or a drink of water.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! HIIT makes an incredible difference, and I love doing it. I noticed the exact same thing when I started doing it in my classes. The only thing that I would suggest is that after doing it for awhile, take a week break. They're not kidding when they say high intensity and your body feels it. I currently do a 4 weeks on 1 week off routine. During that week, I'll do some yoga, bike or row instead of row, or just take a break from it all. Your body wants those rest periods, and taking them will make you stronger in the long run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: