Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

CTTKDKing
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Greco Wrestling, Muay Thai, Sho Bin Ju, Boxing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LogicaLInsanity wrote:
CTTKDKing wrote:
I'm a big guy. Stated Taekwondo at 415lbs and cut to 290 when I was competing in 2004-2005. Stopped for several years and while I'm nowhere near 415 I gained a bit back and am still struggling to lose it again.

I train 3 times per well right now and run 3 mornings per week. Is a slow process but as long as I keep pushing I'll get there eventually. I fell good and that's what counts I think.

I have a 2nd Dan in Taekwondo and a purple belt in sho bin ju.

Wow this is really inspiring. I just started Wado-Ryu Karate at 420lbs, and I've already lost 10 in my first 2 weeks. I'm also on a nutrition plan and walking a couple of miles every day. It's very cool to hear about someone else who started at my weight and got down so far. That's my goal. My motivation is to get better at martial arts. Cuz right now, I'm a 6'3" 400lb bear and I look ridiculous in that mirror compared to the scrawny folks lol.

Can I ask you something? Where did you get your Gi? I've only been in karate for 2 weeks and my Sensei is very kind about me just coming in gym shorts and a T. He says as long as I'm comfortable and can move that's what matters, but I really would love to be in the uniform of my class mates. Plus if I do a belt rank test one day, is it just going to be like "ok you passed, go find a rope at lowe's and wrap it around you"?

In the past I've gotten uniforms here http://oddessy.com/supplies-equipment/uniforms-equipment/size-charts/ and they've held up well. At my height/size when I ordered I went with a 10 and then paid to have it tailored length wise. I might be able to do an 9 or 8 now but will still have to get them tailored because they always make them too long. Big and Tall in martial arts is difficult and the small guys don't get that a size 7 is not big. Ha ha.

Here's a few others I've looked at, but not tried.

http://www.sakuramartialarts.com/Martial_Arts_Uniforms_Karate_Big_And_Tall_Pants_p/uni-9993-a1.htm
http://www.sakuramartialarts.com/Martial_Arts_Uniforms_Taekwondo_Big_and_Tall_p/uni-9990-a1.htm
http://www.gimasters.net/ This one seems to be out of order but I figured I'd post it anyway in case their site is down for maintenance or something.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am a big guy. My new job is more active and have already have to tighten my belt more. Now that school is out for my kid we can exercise and practice at home more. I am planning to test for yellow next month. I started in February. I started at almost 250. I am now around 230.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: