Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

CloudDragon
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Kenpo, Taekwondo, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you and unfortuantely those types of instructors are all to common.

John G
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwon-Do, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmh1nic,

Couldn't agree with you more, instructors need to know when to let go especially if there is no follow-up for black belts. If its a monetary thing thats just plain selfish greed.

Monkeygirl and CloudDragon,

I know what it's like to turn up to every week after week, year after year, and only pick up a bit of technique here and there from the master instructor or from a Senior belt.

You have to personally evaluate why you are there and what you want out of it.

For me as a student, I go to class pickup the little (but important) things I missed out on in the mad rush to black belt. Besides enjoying teaching other what I have been taught, I enjoy the company of the people ( both higher and lower rank) I have trained with over the years. Every Wednesday we go out (after class) and have a pizza and socialize.

As an instructor there are other reasons why I attend my master instructor's classes.

Respectfully,

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Hakutsuru (White Crane Karate), Shaolin Kenpo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alot of instructers don't have much to teach you after black belt unless its a couple more techniques or form or some weapon training. I think most people need more substence then that. The theory beind the techniques. theory in the forms and applications. For example theory on the basic techniques or forms. How to make each move like a simple outward block. A strike, break, throw, joint lock, Nerve attack. Ideas on weight transference, engergy work, How to open and close the points on the body. But alot instructers don't or aren't aware of that. Or aren't into concept training. Thats were I was at with my White Crane Instructer. Every thing was concept training and theory trianing in. Take one idea and have several techniques that reinforce that conept in a class. Or unfortently he would do the shot gun aproach and throw out a bunch of concepts and what ever stuck stuck. But I never met any high ranker not even grand masters who teach that sort of way at seminars like the way he does.

But I am rambling on. So the main idea is if you feel stagnant in your sytle or with a particular instructer and you talked with him on it. ONly thing he can really give you of substance is a new form or something. Maybe its time to go else were to coniture with your Martial Education and training. That is just my opinion though.

-Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John G wrote:
pmh1nic,
Monkeygirl and CloudDragon,

I know what it's like to turn up to every week after week, year after year, and only pick up a bit of technique here and there from the master instructor or from a Senior belt.

You have to personally evaluate why you are there and what you want out of it.

I have no problem with refining my technique or working on my sparring...I probably would have been fine with the blackbelt curriculum, BUT the head instructor was never around! There's only so much I can do to refine my own technique, I needed him to be there and help me. But, he was the phantom instructor, leaving us to teach every class. There were times when I had to teach my own class (the highest class in the school), because the regular instructor (who was not the head instructor, btw) was sick. But that's beside the point. The one person in the whole school who could actually help me advance, was never there. I think that was a large part of why my dojo couldn't hold on to its blackbelts...there was no incentive to stay! While it wasn't the whole reason why I left, it certainly didn't encourage me to stay.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeygirl, sounds like that school was destined to loose its senior belts. One option in a situation like that is to get together as a group and work out on your own. At least you aren't paying for the privilage of teaching someone elses class. The group could then obtain private instruction and share the cost of class and travel. Get your moves cleaned up to your present level, then start working on advanced material. Once a month, shared by three or four people, shouldn't be more expensive than your present class, even if you have to travel a ways for instruction. And of course, working out in your own group is free in between classes.

I've done this (I wasn't on a belt system, just advancing my art), and if you take your time and find the right instructor, it is a good way to learn. The other thing you have to do is keep your group more or less closed. There are a lot of people who, without that structured class atmosphere, will not work dilligently and waste everyones time. Keep it by invitation only, and even then it's work or walk.

Another advantage to this is you can bring in outside skills that interest you, like ground work or manipulation, that your school might not have taught. Go to seminars as a group and then work on what you learned. Develope a rapport with other schools, maybe even other styles, and work out with them from time to time. Expand your horizons. Sky's the limmit when you are not just someones cash cow.

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Hakutsuru (White Crane Karate), Shaolin Kenpo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta1 has a good point.

Or if you do decide on a school. Take a look at there program. See what they have to offer after black belt. See the level of the black belts they do have. -Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: