Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groinstrike wrote:
I know its not true "boxing" but a fight to watch that exemplifies this is Chris Leben Vs. Alessio Sakara.
A truely beautiful showcase of boxing in MMA was Takanori Gomi vs Jens Pulver. That was a beautiful fight

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolverine uskf wrote:
Boxer = jabs, combos, movement, and winning by points.

Puncher = power punches, standing toe to toe, brawling, and going for the knockout.

Sorry for the confusion i thought that was still a common term for boxing styles. I was always considered a puncher, because my foot work, and style was more for power than speed.(in other words i was slow, but powerful)

IMO, in a real fight it would be wise to finish the attacker as fast as possible because while you're going to get cute and dance around him and show off your skills, he'll have time to pull out a knife and cut your liver out.

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brickshooter wrote:
wolverine uskf wrote:

Puncher = power punches, standing toe to toe, brawling, and going for the knockout.

Sorry for the confusion i thought that was still a common term for boxing styles. I was always considered a puncher, because my foot work, and style was more for power than speed.(in other words i was slow, but powerful)

IMO, in a real fight it would be wise to finish the attacker as fast as possible because while you're going to get cute and dance around him and show off your skills, he'll have time to pull out a knife and cut your liver out.

Well duh

Name one martial art style that advocates drawing a fight out to a long tedious unnecessary altercation.

Again another marketing gimmick where people dont use common sense when thinking about it:

"we train to end the fight quickly"

EVERYONE trains to end the fight quick

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMA_Jim wrote:
brickshooter wrote:
wolverine uskf wrote:

Well duh

Name one martial art style that advocates drawing a fight out to a long tedious unnecessary altercation.

Again another marketing gimmick where people dont use common sense when thinking about it:

"we train to end the fight quickly"

EVERYONE trains to end the fight quick

Most martial arts that is performed in a sporting environment result in measuring one's opponents out, especially whe one wasn't able to scout opponents in advance.

Consequently those who participate in these sporting events develop the habbit of taking their sweet time feeling out their opponents regardless of what they officially preach.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, I advocate doing a couple mma fights as a reality check. The pressure of having someone try to put you down is something best felt for the first time in a protected environment. This of course only after a couple years of serious training. Training should include MMA rules sparring to be good for self defense anyway. If you don't compete, an occasional harder contact sparring session will suffice, but competition is good to learn to deal with fear. In my opinion, what separates a MMA program from a self defense class is not what's taken away, but what's added. Add in some weapons training and once in a while 2 on 1 sparring. Also, use illegal techniques lightly to add realism. Turtling becomes less of a defense when someone can elbow your spine and the back of your head. I don't understand why everyone puts such a disconnect between MMA and Self-defense. In a street fight people strike, do takedowns, and grapple. Also there are sometimes weapons or multiple attackers. If any decent MMA fighter could easily beat you in a fair fight, you're not doing something right. If you only train for a fair fight, you are more prepared than most people to deal with weapons and multiple attackers, but if that is part of your training, you stand a better chance at survival.

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brickshooter wrote:
Most martial arts that is performed in a sporting environment result in measuring one's opponents out, especially whe one wasn't able to scout opponents in advance.

Consequently those who participate in these sporting events develop the habbit of taking their sweet time feeling out their opponents regardless of what they officially preach.

I must've missed that memo then- Ive been in several fights, possibly a few hundreds over the course of the past 7 years. None my opponents lasted more than 10-15 seconds once the fight started, and this was when I was a lowly blue belt. This wasnt because Im a "bad dude" but rather because once I initiated, my opponent couldnt defend simply because they didnt know how.

Fighters feel each other out because they know what another fighters skill level is- they've seen lots of video and typically have a certain respect for that fighters skill. Usually a feeling out period is when you throw something at your opponent to see how he reacts. If this guy is completely off balance and has no idea what hes doing (which one can tell very quickly) Im going to throw whatever I want at him and overwhelm him.

Lee M
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person who applies more constant forward pressure wins in a real right so the puncher wins in most cases as counter punching in a real fight is difficult when you take away the room required to counter.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if the person being advanced on isn't able to keep controlling the space.. this isn't crayons on coloring books, we can ignore the line if we want. There was an MMA fight I remember seeing dissected.. darn if I remember which one, but i'll look later.. one of the fighters was driven into the corner by "aggressive forward pressure", kept his cool, created an angle , moved along it, waited a second for the guy to figure out where he went, then popped the agressive forward one back against the edge of the ring for the finish.

Lee M
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if you don't have forward pressure you must cover, and regain the initiative as quickly as possible.

In sport this is possible or open space but in a bar or crowded area its not going to be so effective being the counter puncher.

Open minded
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate, judo, jujitsu, ninjisu, wing chun kung fu, JKD, MMA, Aikido, Boxing, Kick Boxing, street fighting, tai chi

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Boxer= Frank Bruno= Millionnaire

Good Puncher= More secure on a Friday night out without being too drunk lol

I'd rather be a good boxer as a millionnaire but ended up a sparky oh well still do well for myself
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: