Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: boxing combo (video) Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=MY_CLAyyFj8

Does everything look okey?

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing first: a 1 second clip of 1 combination is not really going to be useful to judge from. Similarly, without a view of the hips and feet, and a side angle, there is not much I can tell you. Realistically; need to see you performing it at least 20 times, from different angles, and ideally against something such as pads or a bag. #

What I can say from the clip is that over all it looks okay. I have seen far worse. However, a couple of things:

1. Your elbows are too loose; they are doing nothing for your defence splayed out like that.

2. You flicked the jab rather than thrust it. I would not usually cite this as an issue, as there have been very successful boxers who have used the flicker jab. However, you are doing it from a peek-a-boo-stance, so you should be thrusting the jab out. This in part comes from the elbows; try tucking the lead arms elbow in tighter to the chest.

3. You are starting the 2 before the 1 is complete. It's a common mistake as it feels faster, but it throws the hips off. Make sure to fix the jab in before throwing the cross.

4. You bring the front hand back to neutral after the jab. Remember to bring it back to the chin, or above the shoulder, but never just back to neutral.

However, as I mentioned, I have seen far worse and over all it is okay. Furthermore; what I just pointed out could just be mistakes made in this one clip, during this one particular combination. I really cannot say anything with certainty without seeing a lot more footage, and against something offering resistance such as a bag.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
First thing first: a 1 second clip of 1 combination is not really going to be useful to judge from. Similarly, without a view of the hips and feet, and a side angle, there is not much I can tell you. Realistically; need to see you performing it at least 20 times, from different angles, and ideally against something such as pads or a bag. #

What I can say from the clip is that over all it looks okay. I have seen far worse. However, a couple of things:

1. Your elbows are too loose; they are doing nothing for your defence splayed out like that.

2. You flicked the jab rather than thrust it. I would not usually cite this as an issue, as there have been very successful boxers who have used the flicker jab. However, you are doing it from a peek-a-boo-stance, so you should be thrusting the jab out. This in part comes from the elbows; try tucking the lead arms elbow in tighter to the chest.

3. You are starting the 2 before the 1 is complete. It's a common mistake as it feels faster, but it throws the hips off. Make sure to fix the jab in before throwing the cross.

4. You bring the front hand back to neutral after the jab. Remember to bring it back to the chin, or above the shoulder, but never just back to neutral.

However, as I mentioned, I have seen far worse and over all it is okay. Furthermore; what I just pointed out could just be mistakes made in this one clip, during this one particular combination. I really cannot say anything with certainty without seeing a lot more footage, and against something offering resistance such as a bag.

Thanks. Leaving aside defence, doesn't a slight shoulder flair add power? I am as relaxed as can possibly be and simply try to get a lot of power into it.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can do, and it really depends on your goals with the technique. If you intend to be a power fighter, than you will want to develop using the shoulder.

As I said, I cannot remark too much because I cannot see your feet, but judging by the movement I do not think you are putting the in-step in enough. I would say try thinking with your feet more, rather than the arms, if you are after power. Getting your weight moving properly is the first step.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
It can do, and it really depends on your goals with the technique. If you intend to be a power fighter, than you will want to develop using the shoulder.

As I said, I cannot remark too much because I cannot see your feet, but judging by the movement I do not think you are putting the in-step in enough. I would say try thinking with your feet more, rather than the arms, if you are after power. Getting your weight moving properly is the first step.

I promise you I do the proper lift with the feet. Definately a power puncher. Not a slugger for that matter but on the power spectrum. I never throw looping punches like Foreman did. I also spar mid to long range, not close range. People who fight the ranges I do generally don't punch as hard, but I really don't like in-fighting. The worst stylistic match-up for me is high level swarmers. I don't like close range sparring because it tends to negate my jab, which I can usually dominate with.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: boxing combo (video) Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:

Well first, let’s start with that hair. It’s a little too long. High and tight is the way to go. Your shirt also needs to be ironed too. It’s a T-shirt so you could just spritz some water on it and toss it in the dryer. You appear to shave on a daily basis though, and with no toilet paper your technique on point.

Hope this helps....

Ok seriously now, if you’re trying to learn how to punch or get critique of it, we need to see your hips and feet. You’re moving neither nor are you moving your shoulders. Elbows should be in nice and tight for a good punch (imagine being at the top of a chin up). In all fairness I usually keep my elbows wide mostly because I’m a defensive fighter and I’m looking to clinch, but if I’m looking for power, they go low and tight...

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long time would you guess the person in the clip has done boxing?

Based purely on the clip.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: boxing combo (video) Reply with quote

TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Prototype wrote:

Well first, let’s start with that hair. It’s a little too long. High and tight is the way to go. Your shirt also needs to be ironed too. It’s a T-shirt so you could just spritz some water on it and toss it in the dryer. You appear to shave on a daily basis though, and with no toilet paper your technique on point.

Hope this helps....

Ok seriously now, if you’re trying to learn how to punch or get critique of it, we need to see your hips and feet. You’re moving neither nor are you moving your shoulders. Elbows should be in nice and tight for a good punch (imagine being at the top of a chin up). In all fairness I usually keep my elbows wide mostly because I’m a defensive fighter and I’m looking to clinch, but if I’m looking for power, they go low and tight...

I am moving my hips and feet.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: boxing combo (video) Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Prototype wrote:

Hope this helps....

I am moving my hips and feet.

Then, please show us that!! Pictures are worth a thousand words...if there's enough information provided.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FRk5Hvjd7-8

This is slower.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: