Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

quinteros1963
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Martial Arts (Goju Ryu & Shotokan)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Boxing versus MMA : Toney versus Couture Reply with quote

What do you make of the upcoming bout? How do you see it going? In many ways its like the original UFC bouts. What style is the best? Its a no brainer that Toney is a better boxer, but how many boxers have seen success in the octagon? I know none of them were on the level of Toney, so it should be interesting. Any how who do you like to win?
The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has crosstrained to some extent, and if we're going to paint Toney as a boxer, then we'd likely have to paint Couture as the wrestler, not the MMA guy. Couture was a Roman-Greco wrestler, and if memory serves, an Olympic alternate at one point. I would say that anyone who hasn't trained in all areas of the game from standing to clinch to takedown to ground work isn't going to see much success in the modern UFC.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

quinteros1963
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Martial Arts (Goju Ryu & Shotokan)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are fighting in a sport that Corture has been in for a while so common sense says to go with Randy. Its his sport, how do you bet against him? He better get to the ground quick or else he will get knocked out.
The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind to see a good boxer for a change. In my opinion the calibre of the hands in MMA have gone down. I really think if you get someone with good head movement and slipping then most MMA fighters would struggle, Until they got the other guy in a clinch then thats another story.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fun to watch. I always wanted to see that Gracie/Tyson challenge happen. Gracie may have won, but I would have loved to seen Tyson land one good hook to the noggin...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: