Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

*mArTiAl_GiRl*
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Wu Shu(Kung-Fu), Tai Chi, Hapkido

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. i like that,
oh fireka...........

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Breath or not? Reply with quote

I train in shotokan and my sensei (5th dan) doesn't encourage us to breath audibly. However, the head of my organisation (6th dan)does say you should be able to hear someone breathe loudly when they're performing a kata. A third sensei (3rd dan) that I know says that you should be able to hear a person breathe when they're doing kata, but that it shouldn't be very loud....
Very confusing!
I think that a lot of the time its up to individual sensei's what they teach according to who they have trained with in the past.

Sheffield Steelers!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule is: Do what your instructor tells you. It doesn't matter who agrees with him. If your training in his dojo, then what he says is right and anyone who contradicts him is wrong. Get used to it. lol

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: IOGKF Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do not breathe audibly during Kata, you are not supposed to be able to notice one's breathing during kata (except Sanchin & Tensho). It is to both show control and practice for not allowing your opponent during fighting to see your inhalation/exhalations and use them against you.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Goju1 has it right. If you breathe audibly all of the time, your opponent can pick up on it.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smr wrote:
The rule is: Do what your instructor tells you. It doesn't matter who agrees with him. If your training in his dojo, then what he says is right and anyone who contradicts him is wrong. Get used to it. lol

True. Karate aint a democracy. Whatever a sensei says in their dojo goes.
If you train with more than one person, though, it can be pretty confusing trying to remember who 'allows' what in their dojo. Ah well, just another hurdle to overcome on the road to karate 'enlightenment'! lol

Sheffield Steelers!

Killer Miller
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: JKA Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept of breathing/breathing timing is very important to the development of Karate. Breathing loudly, or over-exagerating breathing, is to understand breathing and how it relates to muscle relaxation, contraction in relationship to your body movements. So you should breath loudly and over-exagerate the breathing process until you fully understand why you are doing so and until your breathing is fully insync with your body movements - thus the term of "breathing timing."

This is something that you do during the development stages, and should continue to practise occassionally at the advanced stages as well. However, if you truly understand this concept, usually not until black belt level, then it is not necessary to breath loudly unless it's a killing execution of technique needing maximum speed and power...

- Killer Miller -
Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/
Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

cymry
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: BJJ, freestyle wrestling

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really how loud, but how forceful or quick the exhale is. You can do it quietly and it's still forceful. You do it quickly at the point of impact. Your muscles tense, it makes the strike more powerful.

CsrCrz88
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kenpo Karate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sensei makes us exhale and inhale when we do a form. Not as hard as you can but to keep you tense.

*mArTiAl_GiRl*
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Wu Shu(Kung-Fu), Tai Chi, Hapkido

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. So, in conclusion, everyone thinks we have to breath. Yeah I know we have to breath while doing a kata, but for example in Wado-ryu they dont breath at all, at least, you cant hear it. What I asked was about Shito-ryu. I've heard it's a bit similar to Goju-ryu's breathing. But the problem is, my instructor tells everyone to breath too loudly, isn't that kinda fake? I mean, if you breath too loudly, the power will get lost instead of keeping it. But of course, we have to listen to our Sensei's.
(my instructor is not even a Sensei yet! She has 1 dan). She hasn't practiced Shito-ryu before, she just started and now our club changed style from Wado-ryu to Shito-ryu. So, it's normal she might do mistakes. Should I go and ask or tell her? I've practiced Shito-ryu longer than her and from my experience I know that we don't breath loudly in Shito-ryu.
Anyway, thanks everyone.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: