Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

*mArTiAl_GiRl*
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Wu Shu(Kung-Fu), Tai Chi, Hapkido

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Breath or not? Reply with quote

My instructor says that in Shito-ryu we have to breath loudly when we do katas, not too loud, but you hear it anyway and it is quick, as you do the techniques. But, my Sensei in Sweden, who has 5th dan in Shito-ryu says: no breathing. (he means, not like shotokan karateka's does). And another Sensei who is my instructors Sensei in Shito-ryu says: don't breath like that. He was here in summer and taught us, later he went back to Sweden and will return again in winter. While he's not here, my instructor tells everyone to breath (almost like in shotokan). And everyone breaths. But they don't do that normally, it looks kinda fakey, like you're forcing yourself to breath loudly. I think that's wrong. So, I asked my instructor why they have to do like that, and she said: because it is effective.
Then I asked my swedish Sensei and he said that they don't breath because they think it is fake to do it only because of effectiveness.
I'm kinda confused now. So my question is, do you breath in Shito-ryu while doing a kata or not? I know that you have to breath in Seienchin, Suparinpei and Kururunfa, but in every kata? I'm not sure if that's right.
So, Shito-ryu practicioners, I need help from you, what do you know about breathing in Shito-ryu?

Dragon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wen performing techniques like kata or just punching you should breathe. It helps to tense you up.
Liquid - Relaxed and make your techniques flow!
Gas - Fast!

tenkamusou
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno.. I kept asking myself that a lot of times, i kinda realized that, that's personal. You should exhale when you perform a movement, but that doesn't have to be loud or forced or anything.

The best guys I saw doing kata did some kinda of noise when they perfomed a kata, but as they say, that's not forced, they say that helps them to keep the timing, and focus, and for some can be as a internal kiai. I dunno...

I do the breathing sometimes, I dunno, I guess that's pretty personal.

tenkamusou
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ops, forgot to say that my sensei, who is an 8th dan. and trained directly from sensei Akamine, says that the correct way is do to the kata without the loud breathing....

but anyway, karate has evolved, i dunno, if that kinda of loud breathing is good or not.... just thought that was important to say my senseis point view...

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can say in Shotokan I have yet to train with a group who wanted audible breathing during kata. Some people do have an audible breath sound though due to sinus difficulties or large adenoids and other throat tissues.

Even during hangetsu we are not encouraged to breath loudly.

I have not seen loud breathing encouraged in shito ryu or shorin ryu either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience loud breathing has been encouraged for performance kata, as the judges need to know that you are breathing while being in a loud gymnasium. Aside from competition, I try to maintain natural breathing that does not disrupt my technique. I find that the loud breathing just causes me to force it too hard and can make me dizzy.

I definitely do NOT want to be dizzy when the only guy who will be judging my performance is the county coroner.

stencil
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: ShoreiKan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smr wrote:
I definitely do NOT want to be dizzy when the only guy who will be judging my performance is the county coroner.

Then you're breathing too hard. You can't hold your breath the entire kata. That'll make you pass out.

Breathing helps you relax if you do it right. A well-placed exhale will add to the power of a punch, and a well-placed inhale will help your blocks. Ever get punched in the stomach when your core isn't moving? You'll either die or pass out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We breath during kata and techniques, not to the point where it is very loud or disruptive. Well placed exhales can give you more power in your punch etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Sauzin
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Kenpo, Goju-Ryu, Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breathing is a prerequisite for proper kata, the real question lies in asking what is the best way to breath.

Loud breathing can accomplish several things. It makes sure that breathing is a controlled and emphasized act. It tenses muscles. And perhaps most importantly it allows your instructor to listen to what you are doing. A good instructor can listen to a loud breathing exercise and know if you are breathing deeply from the diaphragm or not.

Silent breathing is more natural. It does not prematurely or artificially tense your body. It is less obvious to an opponent. However many silent breathers simply forget to breath at the appropriate times. Correct silent breathing is not as obvious to the instructor. Also it does not train dynamic tension the same way loud breathing does.

So really there are gives and takes. If your current instructor wants you to breath loudly in class then do so. Realize that it is likely an instruction aid that will allow him to correct you. When practicing on your own, do whatever feels comfortable. Whatever you do, just don’t altogether forget to breath.

fireka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: isshin-ryu, hopefully soon to study boken-do

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the best advice ive ever recived on a topic of this level of webed confusion: "You could pretty much just do whatever.."

said by my friend Chris when i asked him about something in Japanese
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: