Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Bruce Lee? Reply with quote

I wanted to know what everyone think about Bruce.
He was great martial artist, but was he a great fighter.
Lots of people think he would wipe the floor with other martial artists.
But is there even some proof of his fighting abilities?
What are your thoughts about that?

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee is the single most influential person on my martial art journey, starting from this in 1973
https://youtu.be/zBsP8ch_-Tg

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite song
https://youtu.be/0EygqL--RW4
Be water my friend

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions about Bruce Lee about his fighting abilities are all over the map. We can measure all we want, and discern even more, however, whether his fighting skills meet our expectations truly don't hold water.

"I'm not in this world to meet your expectations, and you're not in this world to meet my expectations." ~ Bruce Lee

Many renown MA have stated their opinions about Bruce and his fighting abilities, and it seems the their opinions in this regard are highly unanimously respectful to Bruce's fighting abilities.

The discerned eye can tell as to what one possess in this concern through many trained observations, and in that, the summation of 'why' is to the summation of 'because', whereas, I hold Bruce in high regards in this concern.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee is one of those special figures in the world. His physical abilities were incredible. He was a thinker and a doer, and luckily for us, he put a lot of it down on paper. He broke some barriers in training that have left an indelible mark on the MA world.

I imagine that the was probably more than capable of handling himself in fights and self-defense scenarios. I don't believe that he was unbeatable, and I do believe that if he would have had the chance to step into the Octagon in his prime, I'm not sure if he would have. What would a public loss have done to his image in his prime? Who knows, I could be very wrong, and perhaps he would have been more than willing to step into the Octagon to show what he had developed. It would have been great to see, that is for sure.

For now, the legend lives on....and I think the MA world is all the better for it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Bruce Lee is one of those special figures in the world. His physical abilities were incredible. He was a thinker and a doer, and luckily for us, he put a lot of it down on paper. He broke some barriers in training that have left an indelible mark on the MA world.

I imagine that the was probably more than capable of handling himself in fights and self-defense scenarios. I don't believe that he was unbeatable, and I do believe that if he would have had the chance to step into the Octagon in his prime, I'm not sure if he would have. What would a public loss have done to his image in his prime? Who knows, I could be very wrong, and perhaps he would have been more than willing to step into the Octagon to show what he had developed. It would have been great to see, that is for sure.

For now, the legend lives on....and I think the MA world is all the better for it.

Solid post!!

pers
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee is the equivalent of the Beatles in martial arts.
He inspired many many people to follow his path including me as a young boy.

I don't think he was invincible but he was a tremendous martial artist, there are too many ifs and buts and Bruce Lee was a human after all but a very determined and focused and talented individual.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pers wrote:

I don't think he was invincible but he was a tremendous martial artist, there are too many ifs and buts and Bruce Lee was a human after all but a very determined and focused and talented individual.

I agree!!

And because he was a human being, he was far from being invincible, as all of us MAists are, however, Bruce had a edge that placed him in a very small percentage of being defeated.

pers
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
pers wrote:

I agree!!

And because he was a human being, he was far from being invincible, as all of us MAists are, however, Bruce had a edge that placed him in a very small percentage of being defeated.

Oss sensei! 😍

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether he could really fight or was just a showman is a question that comes up a lot about Bruce Lee.

I've trained in JKD quite a bit over the years, including with people who trained with him or some of his early students. They would tell you he was the real deal, an innovator, a genius. Whether his theories about combat hold up in real life depend, as always, on the person applying them

Keep in mind, the martial arts world was very different then. Styles did not mix, people did not cross-train, knowledge (whether right or wrong) was not freely shared. Traditionalism was very strong and people "stayed in their lane".

In today's world, Bruce might have done very well in his weight class in the UFC- IF he'd gotten more into the ground game. But that MMA exists at all is in part due to his influence. I think his contribution eclipses whether he would have been a top contender in ring sports.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: