Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Dragonias
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Bruce Lee Reply with quote

Ok Guys, Uve Most Prob Get Like 1000's of post talking aboyut this subject but its something i feel needs to b said about JKD, we all know how bruce lee was the best and so on yeah, well, in the films and stuff he always said that the highest u can get is to have no style, to b able to adapt change and so on like water, take shape. well he shut down JKD because he realised he couldnt teach how to have no style, because by trying to teach it, it becomes a style, if u understand what i mean, and by reopening JKD people kinda disrespected his wishes and understanding of MA. If u disagree, then plz reply, or email me or talk to me via MSN or yahoo

sansoouser
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: san soo, judo,

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I guess JKD was just something he wanted people to adapt to their martial art that they already new like an expansion for a computer, something to improve it.

hobz
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drift I get from "Tao of JKD" is that he didn't really want JKD to be a style at all. He wanted to give you.. guidelines to learn from it, and from that you needed to adapt it to your own style. I don't train in JKD, so I can't tell you how it is today, but I'm fairly sure most arn't like this ?

"Artless Art" I guess...
Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

Dragonias
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Exactly, but now its just become yet another style bound by rules and techniques

broomhilda000
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: judo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, if you claim to teach JKD then you are teaching a style, but it could be a never changing style where new effective techniques are applied and so you would not be bound by rules or techniques. It could become a style less style. I mean because it takes things from practically every style, so it's more of a mixed martial art. It is a style but a style without style. Correct?
Be as a tranquil pool of water in the woods. Calm, collected, reflecting on its surface all that is around it. Make your own mind such a quiet mirror reflecting the mind of the opponent. Even as your partner's impulse to attack passes through his mind it should be reflected in you.

The safest battle is the one that is never fought

broomhilda000
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: judo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok heres a simple version.

JKD is a style

JKD is a style with no set rules and is always expanding

JKD is a style with no rules or a certain way of doing techniques so in a way it does not have a style to it.

Ok one more try here

it is a style without style because it has no set way of doing techniques in it and can be changed to fit yourself, hence a style with no style.
Be as a tranquil pool of water in the woods. Calm, collected, reflecting on its surface all that is around it. Make your own mind such a quiet mirror reflecting the mind of the opponent. Even as your partner's impulse to attack passes through his mind it should be reflected in you.

The safest battle is the one that is never fought

kajukenbo dad
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound good to me..............Good Luck..........can learn from all

Hapkidodude
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JKD is a concept. When Bruce Lee's training concepts are applied to any style it will help you to weed through what does not work for you and embrace what does. Always keep an open mind and use what is effective. Sparring is key. This way you test what is effective and what is not.

The Hand is quicker than the eye!

Stold
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeet Kune Do really is about having your own way to fight. Your instructor may give you the teachniques and some helpful tips, but it the end you decide how you fight. Jun Fan JKD was just bruce lees preference.

martialartist1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: no style as style

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion, JKD was taught by bruce lee himself, but even though its not suppose to be taught, i suppose bruce wanted to say he did teach it and would then have his own thoughts and ideas. its like what he thought before he wanted to teach, then what he thought after he taught. its also the fact that during the time, JKD was still developing, and the only man who was developing JKD during the time was bruce lee himself. i suppose it was tough for him, thats why he was helped by any martial artist he met and got to know about, and his personal friend dan inosanto e.t.c.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: