Add KarateForums.com
Test the New KarateForums.com! (KF Turns 23)
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorinryu Sensei wrote:
To be honest with you, I don't know of any way to control an adrenaline rush, other than to start doing a few hundred jumping jacks (always intimidating to do in front of an opponent before you fight him ) or a hundred pushups.

Well, I've always found that an appropriate amount of meditation helps to keep the mind clear and focused in stressful situations. And, NO I don't mean meditate when you're in the situation.

A balance of sparring in class and meditation will aid you in controlling your emotions, and allowing you to have full use of you faculties when confronted with external stimuli of any kind.

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorinryu Sensei wrote:
Whoa...sorry, but I have to disagree with delta1 on this. Purposely getting into fights to learn to control adrenaline rush? There should be no way that a martial artist should intentionaly get into ANY fight, in my opinion.

I would have to say the opposite. I think that it is your duty to fight for your beliefs. Thus, if you believe that people should not be permitted to act like a bunch of pricks, you should do something about it!

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if your beliefs are wrong or unjust?

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warp Spider wrote:
I would have to say the opposite. I think that it is your duty to fight for your beliefs. Thus, if you believe that people should not be permitted to act like a bunch of pricks, you should do something about it!

Fight for your beliefs? So, if somebody disagrees with you about anything, start swinging? I don't think so, but that's what it looks like you're saying! That's just plain nuts if you ask me.

And you're going to beat up every jerk you meet? Man, you'd better be in pretty darn good shape, because you're going to be fighting literally every time yolu step out of the house. I hope you don't live in New York City, where rudeness is the norm.

You're either one tough 'mutha if that's what you do now, and have a really good lawyer to get you out of trouble.

BladeLee
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Now im not being egotiscal or anything, but I can pretty much kick anyones * 1v1, and to be honest im pretty confident fighting much more than that.

Of coarse your not "

I know it sounded arrogant, and I didn't mean it like that. And I dont mean any of you guys, but im talking mostly about your regular street fighters, your punks, your people who try to act hardcore and THINK they can fight. I really in no way meant to sound cocky or anything, but I just was blunt about what I was trying to get across.

"b) you sound really young, maybe take a few years and mellow out? "

I guess I am rather young, 18. I've been in MA for 5 years, lifting for 3, but have been into the whole thing training on/off my whole life.

Delta1 -- Great post, thanks alot for that information. That helps alot and im going to pring that out and read that every morning, and apply it .
"

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in response to the original post. I think you need to not invite people to fight you by bragging or letting your friends brag about you. Keep your skills to yourself. There are people out there that will want to fight you if they think it will bring them some recognition and maybe they won't be fair about it. I think your adrenaline rush comes from not really wanting to fight with these people. I would keep what you know away from strangers. If your attacker knows what you can do it is a disadvantage to you. Maybe your nervous because these people who want to fight you and aren't afraid of you even though you've been hyped by your friends. So maybe you would be less likely to get an adrenaline rush if you felt you have the upper hand. If you are training right your margin of error should be minimal in a real situation, and believe me there will be a margin of error. I hope this helps and I don't mean this in a negative way.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladelee,

What you are describing is a very common thing, and the only real way to overcome it is to get used to working through it. Training can only do so much, you know? There is a difference between realistic training and reality.

I think a good first start is to understand what is physiologically happening to you during the "adrenaline dump."

A little exposure to stressful events is good for you and teaches you how to acknowledge that your body is going nuts, and still remain collected. When you do panic, you can learn from it and move on.

I once read a great quote online from someone along these lines:

"There are 3 times in a man's life when he is afraid of a lion: 1) when he first sees its tracks, 2) when he first hears its roar, and 3) when he first looks it in the eye."

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorinryu Sensei wrote:
Warp Spider wrote:

Fight for your beliefs? So, if somebody disagrees with you about anything, start swinging? I don't think so, but that's what it looks like you're saying! That's just plain nuts if you ask me.

And you're going to beat up every jerk you meet? Man, you'd better be in pretty darn good shape, because you're going to be fighting literally every time yolu step out of the house. I hope you don't live in New York City, where rudeness is the norm.

You're either one tough 'mutha if that's what you do now, and have a really good lawyer to get you out of trouble.

Well, you don't have to get into fights that often. Usually you can straighten a person out without attacking them (not physically anyway) through intimidation or other sorts of coercion.

Quote:

even if your beliefs are wrong or unjust?

Well, noone can really say what's "wrong or unjust," because there's no universal set of morals. There's usually even people on both ends of the spectrum. For instance, a hippy may say "free love" and all that jazz, while some Christians may say that people who live together outside of wedlock should be stoned to death. Who's right? Noone can say which is right or wrong, they can only say that it's "right," meaning it agrees with their own morals, or that it's "wrong," meaning that it doesn't agree with their morals.

Cheradenine
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell this addrenaline rush or tense freezing has saved you.. and I know exaclty what it feels like.

A real fight is similar to losing your virginity; or being worried about it being your first time. When it happens, it will be because of the right reasons; not because you have to defend your honour from some junkie yelling at you from acoss the street (only to have his friends you were'nt aware of waiting around the next corner)..

I'm yet to be in a real fight.. before I learned martial arts I was walking to work one day and a couple of guys walked right behind me with metal crotches threatening to beat me with them (one had a broken leg, the other guy was holding one as a weapon) .. I just kept walking and nothing happened.. all of the possibilitys ran through my head of "what if I knew kung fu? Then I'd really show them.. I'd do a flying kick through the guys useless skull and then I'd spit on his corpse before the goregous blonde ran into my arms etc etc" where as a matter of fact I did win. I avoided physical and even verbal combat.. admittedly 'frozen' as you have mentioned.. but as many have posted here already it is about self control.

There are many times when I can get into a heated conversation with friends or family, where you can see that you are never going to change their mind on the subject... you just want to yell obsenities into their face and then put your training to good use... this is about the time that I shut up in this situation, realise I'm taking a bad 'stance' as it were, and try and 'win' the debate by keeping dignity and self respect. I try to apply this to everything in life.. work getting too much and you just wanna start throwing stuff? To me these are all chapters in the fight that is every day life. It may sound a little overly phylisophical, but it's working for me so far.

Well that's my rant.. take from it what you will; hey I'm still learning, but to me the ettequite does not stop at just knowing when to fight or not.

Pride&Poise
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won (now); Tae Kwon Do (15 years ago)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few quick "hits"...

Why go to parties with druggies and jerks?

Treebranch is right... keep your abilities to yourself in those kinds of situations. If your friends are really your friends, they will do the same if you ask them. If you ever REALLY need to use your abilities, the fact that they are not known by your opponent(s) will give you a tactical advantage. You also avoid confrontations with those who just want to "test" you.

I've never seen a jerk "straightened out" by getting beat up, nor have I ever seen it truly change anothers beliefs (other than the belief that they couldn't be beat up).

No matter how good you are, you will eventually run into somebody better (or just better armed).

As for controlling adrenaline rush, deliberately slowing your breathing is a basic technique that works well in all situations. It slows the "rush", and allows you to focus. You can practice this in any situation that causes the rush inside you... giving a speech, stepping to the plate in a baseball game, putting for a birdie, interviewing for a job, whatever.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: