Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way to harness chi power is through learning how to relax certain muscles while practicing or doing techniques. Many martial art styles are tense muscle based. In the history of martial arts these styles are relatively new. The relaxed muscle styles combined with intense exercises were once the norm.

Another way to understand chi power, reminds me of a story about four blind men and an elephant. They could not agree on what an elephant was. One of the men had hold of the elephant's leg and he thought it was like a tree. Another blind man was holding the trunk and was convinced it was a like a giant snake. Another blind man thought that an elephant is like a carpet because he observed it's ear. While the blind man holding the elephant's tail was absolutely sure that an elephant is like a giant worm.
If all of the blind men's observations were put together to make a picture, the question is, would it look like an elephant?

Chi power from my point of view could be similar to others points of view but it will never be exactly the same. Because chi power is just that, a personal perspective.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lazy man will find the simplist method of doing things. Those that know how to use chi power or gravity and momentum with proper structure run the risk of looking out of shape. Storing fat is also storing chi. Sumo wrestlers are the ultimate warriors. They may not win beauty contests but they are a force to be reckoned with. Many that practice the internal martial arts tend to look out of shape over time, but they have learned how to use this to their own martial art benefit. Personally I risk putting on too much weight. This is where the yinyang of balancing all things comes in to play. Doing chi kung exercises is a way to keep the chi flow balanced, with tension and relaxation techniques, every day. Trying too hard can have the opposite effect. Personally my training is different every day in every way.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the opportunity recently to teach a boxer some Chi Kung muscle relaxing and breathing techniques. He's approximately the same age as me. He was very pleased with his one hour lesson. He was in pain from stiffness and tight joints. His shoulders were tilted to one side. I was so happy to give this man some hope and some temporary relief. He couldn't bend down enough to tie his own shoe laces so I tied them for him. Tai Chi and Chi Kung instructor usally develop their compassionate side to help others. Too many of us suffer from the 'Too Late Syndrome' a point of no return.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is said that chi is felt but not seen. Well it can be seen sometimes as there are always exemptions to rules. One cold winter morning I was out doing my poor Rocky Belboa impersonation out in the park. Sitting there resting, I wondered where the smoke was coming from, thinking there must be a fire near by. Then suddenly realized the smoke was emanating from me! Was I on fire, no it was condensation from my sweat and the cold air; I must have looked like a hot kettle, giving off a huge amount of steam like a race horse. This the yinyang hot and cold creating the chi vapors or clouds. This is when I became more focused on the Dragon Ying style of martial arts. Inspired, like a Chinese Dragon in the clouds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: