Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Zorba
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but pitchers and bowlers also stand opposite side forward.

you will find that in most things you do, regardless of what they are, you will lead with the "weak" side.

If you know of any exceptions, i would like to here them. if i was weilding a sword, or any type of long attacking weapon, i would still stand weak side forward.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt
Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markusan wrote:
Are the two comparable. When you are weilding a single sword it is not just the primary weapon, it is the only weapon.

It is the primary weapon. The other (empty) hand is the secondary weapon, as are the feet etc. This is the philosophy of all such arts which use the weapon only as an extension of the body, instead of treating the weapons system as a separate animal from the empty hand system (such arts exist too!).

For example, in eskrima, you do basically the same techniques, defences and offences, whether you are equipped with one stick, two sticks, one knife, two knives, a stick and a knife, or just two hands. The techniques basically remain the same. There are some disctinct features of course (a knife cuts even farther from the tip of the weapon, stick does not, etc) but these are minor changes to the overall techniques and movement. For example the stick is still held like a sword. You don't hit with it just any way around, but you hit keeping the knuckles forward, in effect you hit with "the front of the stick". This is to keep you from developing bad habits when you use a blade instead.

Now I regress...

The point is that the systems that usually feel it natural to keep the weak side forward all use a certain kind of "dogma". And that dogma is different from those who feel (because of their differing dogma) that strong side lead is "natural". Good examples were the baseball hitters for the other, and fencers for the other dogma. Both would feel awkward the other way round. If a baseball player tried to keep the bat in the lead side, he wouldn't do that well. On the other hand, if a fencer kept his foil in the rear, he would lose every match he entered. Now this is the whole point of my article: if you try the other approach, you will lose unless you also switch to the dogma and strategy where the reverse system is natural! If you only try the same one-step-techniques "with the left hand" and don't change the actual strategy, you aren't getting the full benefit of the experiment.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlobOn wrote:
you will find that in most things you do, regardless of what they are, you will lead with the "weak" side.

It is because their strong hand is also the side that is more accurate and skilled. When you need to do something with fine skill, you naturally use the strong side. A bowler has no need to train both sides equally, nor does he need to think about how vulnerable he is with his other hand and differing foot positions. He can do whatever he wants with the rest of his body to make the one arm do it's job the best it can. This is quite a difference compared to fighting where everything counts, not just a part of your body or limb.

Zorba
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the positioning of the rest of your body while bowling is extremely important, it all comes down to balance. plus, any serious cricket bowling can bowl both hands, maybe not as well but it can be done.

the point was that most things will have the weak side forward.

use the theory you just mentioned to explain batting or golf where you use your weak side more than your strong

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for interrupting, but what is the argument?

Intro

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlobOn wrote:
the positioning of the rest of your body while bowling is extremely important, it all comes down to balance. plus, any serious cricket bowling can bowl both hands, maybe not as well but it can be done.

Ummm... I still don't think bowler is the best example of a protective stance against a violent encounter, but hey, I am not an expert on bowling so maybe I just don't have a clue.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Warlock wrote:
Apologies for interrupting, but what is the argument?

My sentiments exactly!

Zorba
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basicallly the article was about how people mainly use there weak side forward in martial arts. i stated that it isnt just martial arts, but that in most sports people stand weak side forward. my argument was that it is just the most natural way to stand, not that it was a strategic thing.

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... okay. I'll agree with that. In fact, thinking about Kirves' post and his contention that learning to combat in the opposite stance can provide new perspectives, i think he would agree with it too. Of course, i'm not him, so...

Intro

aes
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fight both left foot forward and right, but favour left forward (I am right handed) currently because I can unload a more powerful reverse punch, but this makes my more powerful right leg slow to deliver.

I change a bit just to throw my opponent off but have found in tournies I do better in general left foot forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: