Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Masters prefer not to be called master. For example I began karate with a guy who is not a 8th degree in another style and his students refer to him as Sensei. He does not allow them to refer to him as master.

To answer your question, if the word Master is difficult for you to say to soemone there are japanese versions of respect that can be spoken---if that helps.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patusai wrote:
Many Masters prefer not to be called master. For example I began karate with a guy who is not a 8th degree in another style and his students refer to him as Sensei. He does not allow them to refer to him as master.

To answer your question, if the word Master is difficult for you to say to soemone there are japanese versions of respect that can be spoken---if that helps.

I think the reason I got caught up in it was the English word, master. Someone asked if it bothered me that a master electrician fixed my wall socket. The difference is, I've never met one who wants to be called, Master Smith.

While I've comes to terms with it, (even in English) the Korean & Japanese words do sound more natural.

Balrog
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master is an earned title. A Christian would have no problem calling someone Dr. Smith; if Dr. Smith happened to be a master instructor, there should be no problem in calling him Master Smith in the school.

MartialArthur
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fundamentalist Christians that I have heard object to the title of "Master" refer to Mathew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters". Of course this is a ridiculous argument.

MasterH
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Hwa-Rang TKD, ITF, ATA TKD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just say that I feel that the martial art "master" is a rank, I was elevated to that rank last July. I'm also a Lutheran, and go to church. People that I've known have had some issues with me as a "master" but not for religious reasons. Outside of church, when involved with the martial art of your choice, I think the title should be respected. I tell you what though, I don't know what I'm going to do the first time someone calls me "master" at the church........there can be only one master at that house, I'll be waiting for the lightning bolt.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterH wrote:
I'll just say that I feel that the martial art "master" is a rank, I was elevated to that rank last July. I'm also a Lutheran, and go to church. People that I've known have had some issues with me as a "master" but not for religious reasons. Outside of church, when involved with the martial art of your choice, I think the title should be respected. I tell you what though, I don't know what I'm going to do the first time someone calls me "master" at the church........there can be only one master at that house, I'll be waiting for the lightning bolt.

The lightning bolt in church won't happen. You're a master in the dojang. You know that, & God knows that, too. You come across as a level-headed, decent guy, MasterH. You know who is master of what.

MasterH
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Hwa-Rang TKD, ITF, ATA TKD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn toot'n I know. I am in the dojo, my wife (1st Degree) is at home, and Jesus is anywhere he wants to be.

Can I get an Amen?!

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterH wrote:
Darn toot'n I know. I am in the dojo, my wife (1st Degree) is at home, and Jesus is anywhere he wants to be.

Can I get an Amen?!

Amen, Brother! At home, I know who "the boss of me" is too. Seriously, she's a good woman. We both call Jesus, Master, tho.

bald1rides
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem calling the guy "Mr." but have a problem with "Master". Due to religious convictions from a 2000 (ish) year young religion. Aside from the fact that the word is being used in a completely different context and the English language is rich in contextual meaning, have a boo at this.

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19991021

check out what "Mr." meant before the 16th century. Close to the bottom of the page. And stop blaming "faith" for something you can resolve with common sense.

Gen_Tora
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Omoto (Gen Tora) Ryu Ninjitsu, Shotokan, Black Dragon Goju & Jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my 3 cents is this. If some "maturity lacking over fantsized religious zealot" wants to split hairs over the bible. The here is my opinion, 1) God is refered to as our heavenly father so does me calling my birth father dad become hereacy? 2) If so them the pope (derived from latin meaning father) or anytime someone refers to a priest as "father" they are "sinning." The aposles called those they spoke with as brothers & where never called "father" so & so. So does that make the christian religion tainted?

Then while they are making excuses I simply point out that we are all the children of god & whether you call any man lord, king, father, dad or master it is only a title of respect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: