Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SloMo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what you did wrong. Stuff does happen when you spar. I've been kicked in all sorts of illegal areas... and have kicked others in illegal areas as well. I always feel bad when it happens. But you gotta move on and deal.

Maybe she came out of that experience with some new knowledge. At least she knows that you can beat her at sparring!

My only advise is to watch her if you ever spar together again. She may be out to prove something and play dirty. So keep your guard up!

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always do Anyways, for TKD (as you know), the head IS a legal area, so I don't see what I did wrong (like you).

But I did feel bad afterwards. I don't know why, but I did. Maybe cause she played that "well, She hurt me," thing. I did say I was sorry afterwards (just in case I did really hurt her).

SloMo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You felt bad because you are a decent person who doesn't like hurting other people! Nothing wrong with that in my book.

I get mad at myself becuase I feel I should have enough control to not hurt somebody. But many a time, somebody does something unexpected and not protecting themselves properly and I wind up striking harder than I intended.

Like I always tell the parents when they get nervous about their kid sparring. This is a "Martial" art.

Mo

karatekid1975
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made a good point there Thanks.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that you did not hurt her or you would remember exactly what kick it was. Being aware of your intesity and power are part of learning control and most martial artists would kick themselves in the butt for losing it (control) in a class sparring situation-escpecially in TKD where precision is the everything. Also, lower ranking or less experienced students learn better when they are challenged and/or get hit in the head a few times so I say go for it as long as you have the control! Even BB's can benefit from getting nailed once in a while...it keeps them on their toes, especially when it is a lower ranking student that does it. In her case I think she has put her ego ahead of her training and unless she changes that she will fall behind the learning curve. Maybe this could be an opportunity to help someone grow. Besides, maybe she won't be so cocky in class now !

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

karatekid1975
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well she was still cockey, attitude-wise. But we sparred again tonight, and I did no contact with her, but I did normal contact sparring with everyone else. She still got mad at me, because I scored on her alot. Oh well. This time it didn't bother me. I blew it off. I guess she'll learn one way or another.

Rich67
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do, San Soo, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I instructed, but I saw this post and felt I needed to put my 2 cents in. Cocky student who is talented? You need to find an exercise or regimen that he/she is not good at. I was doing one-arm pushups and one leg squats at the time, and I incorporated them into our warmup at the beginning of class. I did this because what you need to do with those people is like what they do to recruits in the military...break them down and humble them...make them realize they cannot do it all, and that others around them can do things they cannot. I also did some focus mitt work, and showed this person he was good at hitting stationary large targets (like inexperienced fighters) but had a hard time nailing the small and agile one. You have to change your training regimen! Don't do the same exercises and warmups day in and day out. As for the cocky but "not good" student? It sounds harsh, but pit them against better fighters and even spar with them yourself! After getting knocked around the ring a couple weeks, they will develop respect for others. If they still don't learn, pull them aside and tell them their attitutude does not belong in a dojo. We are all friends and a team, so we all need to help each other and treat each other with respect. If they don't like that, they can find a Kobra Kai dojo down the road to train at.

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make him the uke!!!!!!!!!!!11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: