Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kanku65
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-do

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
There are lots of things that can create falsehoods in the MAs. One-steps can do it, if they are not taught properly.

Couldn't agree more.
The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?
- Master Funakoshi

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanku65 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
There are lots of things that can create falsehoods in the MAs. One-steps can do it, if they are not taught properly.

Couldn't agree more.
We do one-steps in our TKD training, and they are referred to as our "self-defense techniques." They could be, if they evolved from the simple format that we use to do them. One-steps can be a great training tool, but they have to be done right, and they have grow, I believe, and eventually, become more interactive than a down block, step forward and punch, let the defender to the defense, and that's it.

Kanku65
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-do

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
We do one-steps in our TKD training, and they are referred to as our "self-defense techniques." They could be, if they evolved from the simple format that we use to do them. One-steps can be a great training tool, but they have to be done right, and they have grow, I believe, and eventually, become more interactive than a down block, step forward and punch, let the defender to the defense, and that's it.

For curriculum 6kyu and 5kyu do basic 1 step. Step back once, block, and reverse punch. At 4kyu, students are expected to use more advanced blocking techniques and more than 1 strike in the counter attack. During advance class we normally do more self defense based 1 step for all levels, but not all students stay for that class sadly. Mostly adults who are serious about training. It's sad to see some students skate by with just the bare minimum, but if they stick with it they'll eventually have to learn.
The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?
- Master Funakoshi

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanku65 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

For curriculum 6kyu and 5kyu do basic 1 step. Step back once, block, and reverse punch. At 4kyu, students are expected to use more advanced blocking techniques and more than 1 strike in the counter attack. During advance class we normally do more self defense based 1 step for all levels, but not all students stay for that class sadly. Mostly adults who are serious about training. It's sad to see some students skate by with just the bare minimum, but if they stick with it they'll eventually have to learn.

Truer words have never been more spoken; SOLID!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tournaments are always full of surprises good and bad. Take'm for the experience value. There will certainly be moments to remember. I value my experiences with them; some of the most exciting times of my life was competing. Full contact. Light contact. TKD and Mixed tournaments; never entered my mind about building falsehood. Chalk them up to getting more experienced in martial arts, including the winning and loosing aspects.

If you don't compete you will never loose! That could be a falsehood.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Tournaments are always full of surprises good and bad. Take'm for the experience value. There will certainly be moments to remember. I value my experiences with them; some of the most exciting times of my life was competing. Full contact. Light contact. TKD and Mixed tournaments; never entered my mind about building falsehood. Chalk them up to getting more experienced in martial arts, including the winning and loosing aspects.

If you don't compete you will never loose! That could be a falsehood.

Solid post!!

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted thsi story before on this forum (can't remembert where though lol) about a 18 year old TKD black belt by the name of Brandon Bennet..

Brandon was the #1 ranked BB sparring champion in the Northwestern US at the time (WA, MT, OR, ID..maybe more) He was tall, fast, accurate and had really good sparring skills....and still in high school!!!

On the last day of school his senior year, he accepted a challenge from another 18 year old kid that had been bugging him for YEARS to fight him. The other kid had 1 YEAR of boxing, Brandon had been training for at least 8 years in TKD!

They met in an alley off the school grounds and had their fight. From what Brandon told me, he never laid a hand on the other kid, and ended up with 2 black eyes, bloody nose and split lip before he conceeded the fight.

The next day he went to his dojo, dropped his black belt on the dojo floor in front of his instructor and said "I quit", and has, as far as I know, never touched the arts again.

Moral of the story is this..just because you can win trophies in a tournament doesn't man you can protect yourself in a real fight.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:
I've posted thsi story before on this forum (can't remembert where though lol) about a 18 year old TKD black belt by the name of Brandon Bennet..

Brandon was the #1 ranked BB sparring champion in the Northwestern US at the time (WA, MT, OR, ID..maybe more) He was tall, fast, accurate and had really good sparring skills....and still in high school!!!

On the last day of school his senior year, he accepted a challenge from another 18 year old kid that had been bugging him for YEARS to fight him. The other kid had 1 YEAR of boxing, Brandon had been training for at least 8 years in TKD!

They met in an alley off the school grounds and had their fight. From what Brandon told me, he never laid a hand on the other kid, and ended up with 2 black eyes, bloody nose and split lip before he conceeded the fight.

The next day he went to his dojo, dropped his black belt on the dojo floor in front of his instructor and said "I quit", and has, as far as I know, never touched the arts again.

Moral of the story is this..just because you can win trophies in a tournament doesn't man you can protect yourself in a real fight.

So do you know with this story if the TKD person used kicks? Or did they both decide to use punches. Because if so, then clearly the boxer would have the advantage.

Chucksmanhood
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

One steps can be taught properly?

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:

That is unfortunate for him, but competing a lot does give many people overconfidence as is the case for that young man.

I have fought against several TKD practitioners in the last couple of years that either compete or don't and have struggled greatly when I got in close and closed the gap.

From memory old-school TKD still had its fair share of hand strikes, but not so much these days.

Personally I do compete because it helps me get outside of my comfort zone, but I still take it with a grain of salt knowing that in a realistic situation it will be a whole lot worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: