Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Hakutsuru (White Crane Karate), Shaolin Kenpo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends there are good instructers and not so good. So you can do the most complete, most techniqcally sound art (yeah if there is one) But instructor 1 may not know how to teach so he may be good but his students suck! or two. He isn't doesn't know who to teach or does but his own level is very limited so your stuck with a limited knowlege base. No art! Covers every scenerio every angle every aspect. You train and hope for hte best but reality comes. We all want to think we have control over that sort of stuff. But when there is your family around friends, guns, knefes, base ball bats, mutltimple attackers. Odds are very much against you. Not saying it isn't worth practing but. Again you practice because you enjoy the art or the concepts and technques your learning from what ever instructers you decide to learn from.

maybe I am misunderstanding you by complete or as far as perfect art there is no perfect art.
But then again you still got to know people study martial arts for diffrent reasons. Biggest one is confidence. either confidence to get in better shape and and Martiaili arts is a diffrent way to excercise. or confidence in learning to protect them selves. or what not. some like the mystic and spirtual side of martial arts. For example how effective is japense sword art in your daily life. Your not going to be carrying a sword with you most of the time. Granted there are concepts it can teach you but still is it complete art. sure for that person who enjoys it. They are content there for its complete to them. If complete for fighting well thats a diffrent story "THEN" what you talk about needs to be in that art. Also with good quality instruction and theory in each catogory so far I haven't found instructor or style that teaches all those apects with profiency in each catogorey.

Just my 0.2 cents. -Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's why i suggested using the word 'comprehensive' as opposed to 'complete'.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay that makes more since then.

-Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So some are more complete than others. That's all I was saying. That's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of fact.

One shoe doesn't make a pair. It's not complete. Hmm.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well treebranch, like I was saying, the terms "complete" and "comprehensive" where martial arts are concerned have different meanings to different people. That also is a matter of fact.

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well going back to the guy who wrote the orginal question. yes there are styles that do Show a complete art? Self defense aspects meaning the four ranges, pressupre points, internal energy work, morality of karate, weapons both anicent and modern defense against modern ones. But how well they teach each catagory and aspect is very debateable.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two shoes that are not the same also do not make a pair.
then's the question of what you want the shoes for.
walking?
running?
wading in lakes?

like i say.
you can't really have a 'complete' collection of shoes (ask my girlfriend...)
but you can try to have a 'comprehensive' collection.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true I the point is there are arts that teach alot of good stuff. But no art teaches every thing. Best to keep in open mind check stuff out for your selves.

-Jeff
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: