Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

advfhorn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: COVID-19 into the school year Reply with quote

1. Just curious who all is still outside?
2. If so are you wearing masks?
3. Are you doing contact? if so with masks? without gloves/gear?

I am curious bc I know my Sensei is suffering from the challenges of teaching outside (no mirror and distanced apart) and what seems to affect him MOST is the mask not seeing faces.

1. He had a few parents refuse to send their kids after he did not mandate masks (keep in mind we are outside and 10+ feet apart from each other).
2. The majority of those coming are to the "adult" class and are those that have been training 7+ years.
3. he is not charging tuition just $10 a session to pay some expenses
4. we have a small dojo and cannot social distance inside

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us, classes are as normal now. Contact sparring. Students can wear masks if they want, but are not required to. Our class numbers have dropped significantly since this whole thing started, though.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our school is still operating with restrictions:

- Our CI has set 6x6 squares on the dojo floor, with 6 feet between square boundaries. Our current procedures are that you wear your mask into the school and to your square, and then you can remove the mask once you get to your square.

- We generally cannot do contact drills with a couple of exceptions. Members of the same household can do contact drills with each other. Also, we recently had a trio of black belts go through a testing cycle (including the 3 month intensive prep session). They were permitted to do contact drills among each other after signing "hold harmless" waivers.

Our school recently got some good news though -- it looks like with the problems businesses are having right now, a nearby fitness studio is looking for someone to take over their lease. Our CI was able to negotiate a lease on the space (roughly twice what we currently have) for about the same rate he's paying now. It looks like we'll be moving into the new space sometime in October or so.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

advfhorn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aurik wrote:
Our school is still operating with restrictions:

Our school recently got some good news though -- it looks like with the problems businesses are having right now, a nearby fitness studio is looking for someone to take over their lease. Our CI was able to negotiate a lease on the space (roughly twice what we currently have) for about the same rate he's paying now. It looks like we'll be moving into the new space sometime in October or so.

- Are you still moving? One of my schools is talking about maybe moving to a smaller space. I hate to see that happen only bc another school I was in years ago, people quit bc they did not like the change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: