Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think if your sensei lets you test when you are not ready he is the one who is failing you and his role.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Seibukan, Shotokan, Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failed my first try for Shodan in 1985. I tested again six months later and passed. I wanted to quit, but didn't. I'm glad now that I did not.

Guy_Mendiola
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Boxing and Tae Kwon Do.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good for the Instructor to let the student test when there ready.

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you and your instructor feel that you're ready to test, and then you have a bad day or night, does one deserve to be promoted?

MichiganTKD
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Chung Do Kwan Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on what the circumstances surrounding the failing are. For example, in our Organization, if a student could have done better but overall was not bad, we give them a grade of Dan Bo. Kind of like A-. You can pass Dan Bo for 1st and 2nd dan, but not 3rd Dan. If a student did not do very well, but the judges think he/she has potential and will do better later as a Black belt, we will often pass them. If a student's technique is just really bad, to the point where they really need more time, and it wasn't just a bad test, then we will fail them and say "try again in 6 months". This is the Instructor's fault for recommending them in the first place. Also, I believe we have a rule that says any Instructor who has 3 students fail BB test loses their right to recommend students to test.
And yes, other judges have passed BB who I thought should not have passed. But if I'm outvoted my hands are tied.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule that if an instructor has 3 students who fail BB lose their right to recommend students for testing is a good one if the instructor keeps recommending people for testing who aren't ready. If an instructor keeps trying to promote people who aren't ready for it then it devalues the grading system. Instructors should make sure that their students are ready to grade before allowing them to test.
MichiganTKD, if an instructor from your organisation loses the right to recommend students for testing, what happens to his/her students? How do they then get promoted to their next rank?

Sheffield Steelers!

MichiganTKD
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Chung Do Kwan Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offending Instructor crawls back on his hands and knees and begs to be allowed to recommend again
Seriously, I imagine (since I don't think we've had an Instructor lose their privileges) the Instructor would have to meet with our President and discuss recommending the students. Why make the students suffer for the sins of the Instructor?
However, if an Instructor quits the Organization or is cut, his students will never test in the Organization. He then has two choices: test the students himself, in which case their rank is not legitimate, or accept the fact that his students will never advance in rank.

Natural
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Renzokenkai-do, Taikyoku-ken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I fail i would try a 100 times if I fail everytime i will kill myself.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A failure must be taken as seriously as a success. It takes maturity and strong spirit to handle them both. Quitting ... it's a pitty to throw to the garbage can all the time you worked hard. It's always a second time and a failure motivates and even makes you stronger. As for the respect of the others ... you lose face only in front of those who are not smart enough to understand the implications. Those worth taking into consideration would always respect you for what you've done and for your strenght.

Coco
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito Ryu, BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of people on the forums say they will pass when their senseis think they are ready... Well guess what? Your sensei can definately be wrong, dont take his word for it. If it was up to my sensei, I would be a blue/brown belt, although im only a green at the moment, and he thinks I am totally ready to go to my next belt, but I dont think im ready, so guess what? Ill stay back. As for the failing belts, I can safely say many schools have started to let kids pass the belts grading easly, because if they really passed who deserved to pass now adays at some dojos, they would have no students at all... (my dojo is an example, yes, its an uber mcdojo)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: