Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jj_brazillian_style
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it would be hard to say for sure that one is better than the other for certain. i think sampling techniques from both "modern" jiu jitsu as you say and brazillian jiu jitsu would make you better able to defend yourself than just taking one over the other.

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real probem with modern BJJ is that it takes the fight straight to the gound. When you have more than one uy against you, you never do that, especially in a street situatin, y'know? But I like how BJJ is much more flexible than the traditional styles, where it's just the same old 'punch, lock, throw' over and over. So I suppose yes, a combination would be best.

That still doesn't give Royce any reason to talk so much trash

Sin Style
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never really thought of jj as much of a self defence art, i mean ive never done it so im probs wrong, but can you say have a fight in a nightclub get them down to the ground and arm lock them till it snaps or someone pulls you off him.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking a fight to the ground in a nightclub is not a good idea, particularly if its crowded. For one thing you've got the bouncers to worry about, and then add in the crush of people all around waiting to accidentally step on you, fall on you, whatever. By the time you're finished you'll have half the club out for your blood.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem with Gracie JJ. It works in tournaments, but on the streets...sure, you can take one guy down, while the other kicks your head in. That's why traditional JJ has a lot of strikes, some strong enough to kill. the basic idea was that you move in with fast, hard attacks, grapple to pin them, leaving them vulnerable, and then finish them with a strong blow, such as to the back of the head or neck. Kind of like Shuai Chiao, except leaning more towards striking, instead of grappling.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably take any JuJitsu over brazilian if I wasnt being taught by the Gracies themselves. Brazilian is becoming way to comercialized in my opinion. As for the self defense aspect every art has the cability of making itself useful for that.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daito Ryu, Aikijutsu and Aikido all the way.

But then I could be biased!

Train Well

El Guerrero Loco
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both would be pretty good, lets face it...fighting multiple opponents isn't a good thing fer any style to do. Besides for takin someone to the ground when there is a bunch of guys still is ok. Here's an example: Say the BJJ guy gets in a fight with say 3 guys. He quickly takes one down and puts him in an arm lock...after doing so he yells for the others to stop or else he'll break the guys arm. Think about it, would some guys mates actually risk there friend's arm? Also, it shows the rest of them how easy it is for the bjj guy to beat them singularily. Even if the continued on he could break the guy's arm adn do it to another, this time they know he ain't bluffing and the guy in the lock is likly pleading with his friend not to advance, if he does the bjj guy again breaks his arm and continues the cylce.

Juss thought i'd say that in case an bjj guy here has a similar situation, there's one strategy for ya guys

peace

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: