Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I don't need to go to the gym!!

I MUST go to the gym; my life depends on it, more now than ever!!

Before being diagnosed with Afib this past October, I'm on a mission to save my life, if at all possible. That means that I go to the gym! That means that I must adopt a much more healthy lifestyle across the board! That means that I must lose weight; from being 326lbs to 215lbs in one year!

No, the gym is where I must go on a daily basis!! In the past, the majority of where I'd do my training, gym wise, was either at the dojo and/or at the Hombu.

You do more Cradio work in the Gym or you do weights as well ?!

I actually started Karate after having a random Blood test & found that my liver enzymes high (fatty liver) , my cholesterol levels high & my blood sugar level is at the very upper normal when I was 30 !

After 3 months of Karate training (1.5 hours/week) in addition to better diet (specially stop drinking coke) every thing went back to normal, my GP was so much surprised & asked how did I do it & encouraged me to keep doing the same and that's another thing I love about Karate

For me, in Karate I get better health outcomes while doing something I enjoy & nice people to encourage me which is not the case with the gym most of the time !

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weights and gym time is fine. Had a debate with a health club owner about agility; as in most gyms this aspect is none existent.

Agility aspects of martial arts can become lost in the need for muscle and cloured belts.

Being agile is something that age will steal from you and everyone. Stay as agile as possible throughout your life and you will notice those around you losing it due to neglecting it.

Using weights does burn fat, fast; education and using what you know sensibly, also burns fat, afterburn techniques burn fat.

Living like a thin person burns fat, eating a balanced diet reduces unwanted fat.
Shouldn't be all about burning fat but rather living a healthy sustainable lifestyle that doesn't evolve around eating instant gratification junk foods.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan. " Healthy Sustainable lLifestyle " . That's my main goal, specially SUSTAINABLE 😂

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Before being diagnosed with Afib this past October, I'm on a mission to save my life, if at all possible. That means that I go to the gym! That means that I must adopt a much more healthy lifestyle across the board! That means that I must lose weight; from being 326lbs to 215lbs in one year!

No, the gym is where I must go on a daily basis!! In the past, the majority of where I'd do my training, gym wise, was either at the dojo and/or at the Hombu.

I actually started Karate after having a random Blood test & found that my liver enzymes high (fatty liver) , my cholesterol levels high & my blood sugar level is at the very upper normal when I was 30 !

After 3 months of Karate training (1.5 hours/week) in addition to better diet (specially stop drinking coke) every thing went back to normal, my GP was so much surprised & asked how did I do it & encouraged me to keep doing the same and that's another thing I love about Karate

For me, in Karate I get better health outcomes while doing something I enjoy & nice people to encourage me which is not the case with the gym most of the time !

Solid post, Safroot!!

To the bold type above...

I do them equally!! If not, one will be stronger than the other. At first, I concentrated with the cardio, and then when the time was right, I introduced weight training into my daily routine.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Safroot wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Solid post, Safroot!!

To the bold type above...

I do them equally!! If not, one will be stronger than the other. At first, I concentrated with the cardio, and then when the time was right, I introduced weight training into my daily routine.

I would say theoritically doing both gym (weights & cardio) & dojo training is the best practice but there is no absolute best practice that apply to everyone

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Safroot, that dojo cardio/weight training is equally important to an overall routine. Health must be everything; quality of life is available to everyone, and it's free, but it requires dedication and serious effort.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: