Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: 'Drunk Uncle' is important! Reply with quote

The other day, my cousin had something happen. I'm not sure if it was an aneurism, a stroke, or something else. He was out hiking with some friends, then he just stopped suddenly, and started talking nonsense. They were words, they were in real sentences, but they didn't make any sense. He got more and more frustrated, and then apparently attacked someone. He apparently has no idea what any of the details were, and has been slipping in and out of lucidity.

While my mom was checking on him at her sister's, he was talking, not very coherently, then suddenly turned to his daughter and asked her to go upstairs and play with her toys. She left, he stood up, and threw his mother against the wall, then started choking his sister. Then he stopped, sat down, asked his father if they could go for a ride, and asked why they were on the floor like that. No recollection of doing anything.

So I have a family member who is suffering from a hopefully temporary, sudden mental issue that causes him to become violent with no warning or intent. Obviously nobody wants to hurt him. But if I were there, it would be nice to know that I would be able to gently take him and put him in some sort of hold until the state passes.

No, I don't know what the problem is. Yes, I told them to take him to a hospital. Apparently he'd been arrested and charged with assault instead, I have no idea what's going on.

But yeah. That sort of scenario is probably just as likely to be a problem for the people out there as some duel in a back alley. What tools do you have to deal with it?

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer of a situation. Really, there's no good way around this sort of thing. Medical treatment is the key in all likelihood; however, you still do have to keep yourself and others safe. We deal with mentally unstable, combative people semi-routinely in my line of work. They are tough calls. Sometime, this goes better than others.

I get the need to take care of a medical condition as a primary concern, I have to imagine that this is even more imperative with a family member. So, striking the subject is pretty much out of the question barring any extreme situation. Joint manipulation will probably be a highly cited tactic. Bear in mind; however, that these standing joint manipulations rely on destroying the joint via pressure and mechanical advantage to truly utilize them. Altered mental states can make anything less that that ineffective and leave you in a position of disadvantage.

Really, in my experience of having to control these individuals, THE tactic to go with is controlling positions. Mount, side mount, ect. With him on the ground via takedown and you on top, you can exert a lot of control with minimal damage to the individual. This lets you wait out a rescue or police response for aid. If takedowns aren't your thing, at least tie up and work from back or side control, barring that, a tight pummel.

Any of these options afford control, with minimal damage. They also give you great access to arm in triangle variants (standing and from the ground) and chokes. This can be the next step up for you in the control spectrum without heavily damaging the subject.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's situations like these why you need a variety of tools. This is my main argument with those who claim their systems are just too deadly for any other fight but one to the death.

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is horrible. I wish I could offer more but I keep thinking medication. I'm the type of person that doesn't take aspirin when I get a headache but meds sound like the only option.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow my first thought with the babbling during hiking was a hypo. My parents are both diabetic and whenever my mum hypo's, she's a babbler. Talks absolute nonsense and loses all sense of short term memory. Spent over an hour once where she was was trying to find something to give me and just kept opening and closing her bag. Although that doesn't fit the violence aspect.

I would think getting him checked over would be a better option than charging him with assault. Seems to be some sort of underlying condition there. Hope it gets figured out

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Really, in my experience of having to control these individuals, THE tactic to go with is controlling positions. Mount, side mount, ect. With him on the ground via takedown and you on top, you can exert a lot of control with minimal damage to the individual. This lets you wait out a rescue or police response for aid. If takedowns aren't your thing, at least tie up and work from back or side control, barring that, a tight pummel.

Any of these options afford control, with minimal damage. They also give you great access to arm in triangle variants (standing and from the ground) and chokes. This can be the next step up for you in the control spectrum without heavily damaging the subject.

I agree with tallgeese. That is about the easiest way to control them, and hopefully the episode doesn't last too long. Sometimes, we don't want to hurt the other, because they just aren't coherent, like your situation here. Obviously teeing off and punching them out isn't a good answer, either.

Another thing to consider is looking for signs of an outburst coming on. Does he get a wierd look in his eyes? Does it begin with confused speaking all the time? If you can ID some warning signs, then you can start by getting him somewhere isolated or getting everyone else away. Prevention first, then control if need be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: