Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been taking karate for the past 7 months or so, prior to which my lifestyle was exceptionally sedentary. Now I train at the dojo twice a week, and work out at home 2-3 days a week (running on the treadmill, jumping rope, working on kata and/or practicing techniques with a punching bag). I'm 27, now in much better shape with grand improvements in strength and general fitness, but I'm having this ongoing problem with endurance. During training I frequently get to the point where I start feeling parched, sweating, shaking, dizziness, nausea, boiling sensations in the abdomen, the works. It comes on very suddenly, usually right when I stop whatever exercise I'm doing (working on kicking techniques combined with footwork almost always does me in) and stand still for a moment. It quickly builds to the point where it feels like if I don't sit down immediately I'm either going to pass out or throw up right there, I often have to bow out and it can take me as long as 10-15 minutes before I can stand up without getting dizzy again.

I try to drink as much water as I can take throughout the day and shortly before practice. I went to the doc a month ago, she thought maybe hypoglycemia so I've been monitoring my blood sugar levels at the dojo. The levels are well within normal ranges, so she's pretty much ruled that out. However, she did note that my diet is much higher in carbs than it should be and that I may not be getting enough protein. So today I read the Protein post in this forum, and have suddenly realized that I should be getting 100-115 grams per day, while on an average day I'm probably getting something like half that. Nobody's mentioned much about what happens when you don't get enough protein, do you think this could explain what I've been going through?? (I guess the answer is probably "well dur, obviously!" but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it anyway. I always thought of my dietary habits as pretty healthy, never really thought about how carb-heavy they really are.)

By the way, I've really been enjoying this forum since I stumbled into it last week! I've already learned a ton from it, and it's great to get a peek at all the different styles and perspectives that are out there.

Thanks in advance for any insights you might have!

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like all the basic beginning traits...

You fell like your going to die, and you can't keep it up... you just want to quit..

They do that on purpose to ween out the quitters and weak people. If a 12 year old girl can achieve black belt in my TKD class anyone can.. thats my view on things..

I have been lifting weights and training for many years, the things you describe are only temporary. As your body grows your endurance will grow. Keep it up.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I would have to agree with what TKD McGee has said. Also I noticed that you said you experiences the symptoms when you stop. Sounds like you need to pay more attention to cooling down rather than just stopping cold.

And then some of us to have endurance problems. The problem should lesson with time and continued training. It is good that you are returning to class as soom as able. It is also good that you seem to have an understanding instructor. It is better to stop before you hit the floor.

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. It's pretty frustrating and downright embarrassing--ours is a very young branch dojo, all the other students are also white belts (we have two at 8th kyu, the rest of us are 10th kyu), some are much older than I and I think it's fair to say of the 10th kyu students I'm in better shape overall. We even have an asthmatic and a diabetic. But, nobody else ever has to bow out of practice! I've never actually passed out before so I'm not sure if that's what's coming, but if I try to push through it my vision does start to tunnel just at the point where I know I have to bail.

Ah well, sounds like there's not much more I can do about it besides what I'm aleady doing. I can't say I'm not weak at this point (...hate......pushups...), but I've yet to consider quitting. My strength, technique & flexibility are all coming along nicely, hopefully endurance will follow. (I hope soon--I think I could pass the 9th kyu test at this point if I could only remain standing for the whole thing!)

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chh and Welcome to KarateForums glad you stumbled upon us and hope we can help you out here!
It is great that you have reached the point where you have started to train in karate and aside from that also working out at home which is important. You need to work on your cardio endurance cos your going to need it as you advance as a student ... it only gets more and more difficult to sustain training.
I noticed when I was on a lower carb diet (not higher) that I got the same side effects that you mentioned. Do make sure 1 hour prior to workout that you do take in a form of carb to sustain your workout together with at least 8 oz. of water. Do not eat before training cos you will surely throw up! Do make sure you are getting the proper amount of protein too in your diet... together with the carbs. (read the posts in Health & Fitness)
Breathing is very important! Incorrect breathing can make you dizzy (lack of oxygen). You need to learn to breathe correctly from the diaphragm. Learn when to inhale and exhale on techniques. (sometimes you can hear the "swoosh" of students breathing while doing technique....making the breathing audible reminds you to breathe!)
Work on your cardio endurance and you will eventually notice an improvement.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-01-30 11:32 ]

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome! TKD_McGee is absolutely right....I went through the same thing in my training. You're at a point in your training where you're starting to get into the 'guts' of it and your body is feeling the results. You would not have started at this level when you first began and it's all new for you and your body needs time dto adjust. When I hit high-green belt, every class was like that...I thought I was gonna upchuck every class! I sweated profusely (supposedly the more you sweat, the better shape you're in) and got dizzy as hell, so don't worry so much about it and just make sure you're eating well enough to keep your body going....lots of protein after your workouts! You're probably doing far more kicks now than you've done before and these will tire you out far quicker than doing upper body work. Sounds like you do cardio work anyways, which of course helps with you endurance...if your dojo offers cardio kickboxing, try that....it's lots of fun! Cheers and good luck!

Lori :pony:

-Unknown-

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's been like this since day 1. I didn't make it through the first practice I attended, which my sensei most definitely toned down for my benefit. I figured my endurance was just that pathetic and all the more reason to continue, but after more than 6 months with little or no improvement I'm feeling very impatient with myself!

But then again, I happened to catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror the other night and realized "oh my god, I can see my abdominal muscles!!" which really goes a long way towards making me feel better.

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup!! I hear that....got the six-pack going ooooonnnnnn!!! Just keep at it and I promise you that you will reap the benefits - discipline is also what you're learning, so just keep your focus and you'll continue to see the results of your hard work!

-Unknown-

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh the very problem I once had.

Now if you are smart and determined this will be your imputus forward to greater heights.

First of all sit down and design a written weekly training programme. Then after training at the Dojo, no matter what go running. Even if you are so tired you have to end up fast walking.

Then on a daily basis, yes critical daily, start a running programme. But when you run, lift your knees high and take long strides.

As your aerobic capacity increases, twice a week work on anaerobic work. ie sprinting, rope skipping, kata at high speed, running fast up hills etc etc

You are suffering from anaerobic break down, you need to build your anaerobic capabilities and you can only do this by building your aerobic capabilities as a foundation.

As you get stronger, work weights on your legs and whole body really.

But make utterly sure you are healthy enough to do this.

I had this problem many years ago and you know what it wont go away if you slack off again either.

After a 2 hour intense Karate training I started running when I got home. From where I lived 2.5 miles away is a small mountain of 1200 feet high and getting up is steep, really steep. I set a goal to run over that every night. I was training 5 nights a week then at the dojo. The slackers were closed on the weekend then!

Anyway, it took me months and months to even get to the top non-stop. Then eventually I could run the whole 5 miles non stop. When I got to this stage, I started timing myself and worked to get the times down.

Then I started working on weights and anaerobic conditioning. Then after 12 months, I found my fitness far superior to those of my own grade (kyu) in the dojo. That was my goal. I even had my peers asking me to take it easy at the dojo and training camps. I followed the training programme of a undefeated Kumite Karate-Ka who was my Sensei at the time. Although he was not pro weights really. Back then weight training was not studied as it has been today.

The key here is to build a programme and follow it. Its not an easy task finding out what works and is best for you. But thats the fun part experimenting. Dont always believe and follow everything you here as Gospel. Study and learn your own body. Everybodies body is different. Thats why some people are better suited to be maranthoners than sprinters. Its the same in Karate, your body may respond differently to different programmes than mine and others will.

Study, plan, implement, execute, monitor, adjust and continue your programme.

In time you will have bundles of energy that many would kill for, IF you are serious and committed.

Thinik about this:

How much do you want this goal?
What are you prepared to give up to achieve it?
What would it mean to you if you do achieve it?
What would it mean if you dont achieve it?
Does it worry you if you dont achieve it? If so, why?
Can you describe your your full potential .. exactly?
If your full potential equals 100%, what % would you give yourself now?
Accepting the difference between the two scores, what are you going to do to make up the shortfall?
And when?

(Questions compliments of Zig Ziglar and Peter Daniels)

Thats deep. Take your time thinking about these questions, it could change your whole life

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Classic Six Pack™

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: