Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: Exercise and Martial Arts Reply with quote

Recently I was speaking to a client (I'm an Exercise Scientist by trade); where they were asking me about how and why we do certain exercises in certain movement patterns.

Then how it might relate to our Martial Arts Training.

As we spoke; I explained that when we exercise it should be done with "Natural" movements. Which is the same for Karate in many ways.

As they never had any formal training in Karate and had limited exposure to working out in a Gym. We did a workout comprising of both; where I would ensure that they learnt how to safely to perform the movements.

What truly surprised them; was the similarity of how you often stand for stability when performing a split stance cable row vs performing either Moto Dachi (Fighting Stance) or Zenkutsu Dachi (Deep lunging stance).

even writing this post; it reminds me of a qoute - The Advanced postures becomes ones Natural postures.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne, I agree with you whole-heartedly.

We have 5 core principles in our style:
1. Structural Integrity
2. Coring (18" rule)
3. OPE (Observe, Plan, Execute)
4. E&P (Efficiency & Proficiency) in time, space, and energy
5. Weight Lead

We train the new karate-ka in the first 2 principles...where #1 applies to their stances and overall body positioning, teaching them the basics until they become natural and second-nature. Then, when they are close to Shodan (and through Shodan) they go all the way to #5. At Nidan, they really start to understand and grow in #5, which maximizes everything they are doing by using all of their body weight with their movements (not just their muscles, or just the arms, but everything).

At this point their stances are their own, modified by them as they see fit to accomplish the movement.

When I was first learning this, I asked Kaicho what stances he was using in the advanced version of our kata and he answered "I don't know...whatever works for the weight lead." And that is what it is all about.

However, if you don't learn the kihon stances (naihanchi, seisan, neko ashi, etc.) first, and how the effect your body structure, balance, and movement, you can't later modify them to best suit you (efficiency and proficiency).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: