Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photo! one to treasure for sure.......................
Yeah I really should try and get in and train at Honbu, it's just that I'm allergic to cities....................

Would love to get to the Go-En week, wrong time of year for me tho.......

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong time of year for me too. I'm a school teacher. Taking a few days or even a week off at the end of the year isn't going to happen. Too many important things to prepare for and wrap up. No ones mentioned how much it costs either. I'll probably head down for the weekend and stay in a hotel for a night. It's a 2 hour drive for me, so it's manageable. A lot of people from my dojo want to go, but no one knows what it'll cost. I'm sure several people will do what I'm planning on doing.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to my CI about this movie last night after class. He trained with several of the guys in the movie when he was in Kyokushin and followed Nakamura to Seido. This includes the 4 main guys and several others who are in the background. He's not in it the movie though.

He said that day in and day out training wasn't as intense as the movie depicts. Some of it was day to day stuff, but a lot of it was an elite group training specifically for the tournament and for the camera.

He said the shodan test in the movie was an exaggeration, and was exactly like black belt and kyu tests were though. Shigeru Oyama was every bit as intense off camera as he was on camera. Nakamura has a more reserved personality on camera, and that's exactly how he was off camera. He's mellowed out a bit as he's 40 years older now, but he's still pretty intense at the appropriate time.

I met a few of the now Seido guys from the film at that workout a few months back. I didn't realize who most of them were.

Even without knowing this stuff, it's still a great film. A real life Bloodsport meets 70s blaxploitation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: