Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in learning some stretches or workouts that could specficially aid in the more athletic and gymanastic-style flexibility. I'd like to work towards doing smooth forward flips, the splits, backflips etc. This has little to do with Martial arts, I know, but it is something I have often wanted to do.

So what do I need to work on to become more flexible? Thoughts appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exercises that build your shoulders, triceps, and trapezius muscles are the most
effective for increasing your speed and power for forward/backward flips. Handstand push-ups are one the best exercises if you can't do military/shoulder presses.

For splits, at the mininum, you should stretch 6-7 times a week, (at least once per day) for at least 15 minutes each session if you want to improve your static flexibility (2-4 times a week if you just want to
maintain your flexibility).

You should hold each stretch for at least 15+ (preferably 30-60+)seconds of slightpain/pressure(you should push against the ground or other resistance--similar to way you push against the resistance provided by a partner in PNF stretching (after a while, it won't seem painful anymore and you'll just feel a nice tightness/stretching sensation) and then relax for a 30 seconds to minute and then repeat the 15+ seconds of pressure on the muscle you are stretching.

Remember, the more, the better so stretch/drop into your splits while watching T.V. (especially during commericals since they're perfect for 2-minute quickie stretches), studying, doing your homework,postin here on the forum,reading, or any other activity that you can do while sitting (find a spot that gives you good
visual stimuli so it'll give you something to focus on to distract you from the pain--good places are the beach (it has beautiful scenery ... warm sunlight dancing on your skin, the roar of crashing waves, soaring
seagulls, nice bikinis

For the dynamic flexibility used in high kicks and drop splits (which is separate from static flexibility), you will just have to practice quick/fast/ stretches/kicks that involve a quick burst of power (such as high kicks/drop splits/etc.) at least 6-7 times a week for 15 minutes at a minimum.

Good Luck flipping!!!

Deby

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a star
Thanks lots and lots.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's really good info KickChick.

Stretching hurts! But it's a good pain. I can do the splits but only because I practice yoga quite frequently, and in my kickboxing class, hardly anybody can do them...apparently it takes 3 years do be supple enough for the splits from starting to stretch for them...

They still hurt me though...you see people dropping into splits and they are supple enough not to feel it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stretching is something you have to incorporate into your lifestyle.

in life flexibility is the key to understanding.

[ This Message was edited by: iamrushman on 2001-08-29 20:07 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLEXIBLE GIRLS RULE!

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Moobrack has girls on the mind today... so do I so... *shrug*

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Valn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
6-7 times a week, (at least once per day) for at least 15 minutes

If this is true then this will be reason that progress in flexibility have been moderate.
For the last 12 months I say have stretched 3-5 times a week but no more than 5 minutes.

However, thanks to my martial arts that I have started (Wing chun) our instructor emphasize streching as very important so now I stretched at least 15-18 min twice a week and I"m already seeing some improvement.

Anyway, thanks for sharing some tips guys.

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If yoga counts as stretching, I stretch every day for at least 40 minutes...but more often than not an hour or more.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: