Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MartialArthur
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mike wrote:
so if I live in a low population area, or an economically depressed area, I may never reach a higher dan ranking according to this?

Exactly.

I'm not a member of the ATA, and I don't know what their rules are. I know that if I choose to open my school in a low population area or a depressed area I will sacrifice some opportunities that I might otherwise have. If I know that it is a requirement for becoming a high dan rank, I will have to make my choices accordingly.

On the other hand, if I am in an organization that only considers my physical capabilities I know that I will reach the end of my growth as I get older and my physical abilities degrade with age.

When I am old, I know I will be less physically capable, but I will be a better teacher.

Balrog
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATA changed the promotional requirements recently. As I mentioned before, they were trying to find a way to tie higher ranked promotions to leadership, and do so in a quantifiable, objective manner. The first route they took did not work. The first modification they made was a distinct improvement and the current method is even better.

In a nutshell, the high rank has to earn 90 points a year for each year of the mandatory time in grade. For example, a 5th Degree would have to earn 540 points. If the points aren't earned at the end of the time in grade, the individual continues until the required total is met.

The biggest point accumulater is your student count. However, you also earn points by taking an active leadership role in your district or region. For example, one can earn points by judging at tournaments, by serving as a regional officer, by being a guest judge at another school's testing. One also earns points through continuing education, so we get credit for the instruction seminars we attend, etc. I don't have the full list in front of me.

I think it's fairer to everyone because it is not just numbers based any more. I have a small school and I would have never hit the numbers under the old guidelines. In fact, I didn't become eligible to test for 5th until the first modification came into play. Under the current rules, I can hit my points every year because of my active participation in the region and at national level as well.

The wheels of the ATA grind slowly and we lost a bunch of good instructors while they were working this out. I'm sorry they left and I would like to see them come back. The organization would be much better off if they did.

jaymac
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan (nidan)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I am not a member of the ATA but what ever happened to recieving rank because ones knowledge, technique, and experience in one's style was exemplary. I put alot of time and training at my dojo and am glad that my instructor has not ranked me because I was able to bring in students. I have tried to not ever get caught up in the McDojo discussions, but this posts has made me extremely glad to be part of a traditional program.

whitematt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: ATA Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaymac wrote:
Wow I am not a member of the ATA but what ever happened to recieving rank because ones knowledge, technique, and experience in one's style was exemplary. I put alot of time and training at my dojo and am glad that my instructor has not ranked me because I was able to bring in students. I have tried to not ever get caught up in the McDojo discussions, but this posts has made me extremely glad to be part of a traditional program.

These requirements do not come into play until you are a 4th degree black belt advancing to 5th. If you are simply a "student for life" you will not learn as much as you will if you were teaching - or giving back to the art.

Even in a "traditional program" I would be surprised if your instructor would still allow you to promote without you taking on additional responsibilities.

Matt White

MasterH
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Hwa-Rang TKD, ITF, ATA TKD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaymac wrote:

Goodness, I'm actually posting here again.

Jaymac and others, I think you're missing the point. The ATA was like that, not any more. They recognized the problems with the system they had, and changed it. Give them credit, the new points system is only for the first part of testing, qualifying that is. And included in that is total students, tournement participation, Association participation, and a number of other activities, including holding a regional office and time in rank.

I feel we should encourage this type of change, who knows other changes like this might be just around the corner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: