Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

alanseijas
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Shorinryu, Fut Sao

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Gear coloring Reply with quote

I bought this great new gear for kumite. It's the Macho Warrior gear. I bought it in blue, and I love it. The only problem, is that my Sensei only wants white gear in the dojo (I didn't know that). Does anyone have any suggestions to re-color this gear white, or should I sell it and buy new? Thanks in advance........
The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

Sens55
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: MKD TKD & AJJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting. I don't know how you'd possibly color it. Maybe you can take it back and trade it for white. If you haven't used it, it's a possibility.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not been used you can prob. trade it. However if it has been you may look to sell it. You can always just put it up and use it at home or in open sessions. In all reality I can't see your sensei being that big of a jerk about it. Just explain to him you did not know what color he wanted and go from there.

BTW from my exp. Black is the best color to get you can pick up red, blue and white very eaisly but there is something about black that its just harder to see.

alanseijas
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. He's not a jerk, but I think he's a little mad that I didn't buy it from him. I can understand that, but it was a great e-bay deal. I've already used it, and it's not returnable. Now that I've used the "Warrior" gear, I don't want to use any other. It breathes so well, and fits great. It has added protection right in the places you need it. The only problem is that it's expensive, and I'd hate to have a set just laying around at home......

The black idea makes sense. Rats, now I want black.
The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a way. Use artist acrylic paint.

alanseijas
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Where might I find that?

TKDLadyInSC
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TaeKwonDo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many paints can cause the material to break down. This could make the gear unsafe.

As far as the warrior gear, I like the design, think it is cool. I asked my instructor if we would eventually change to that. He likes the look, but said he would not change to it because the back part is cut high. It leaves the base of the head exposed. A little less safe than the traditional Macho gear that comes lower, so I abide by his decision.

Your instructor may want you to have the same gear as everyone else for a similar reason, Or for uniformity.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a helmet a while back with acrylic paint from an art supply store. A jar or tube of paint thinned down. The same paint can be thinned down even more and used on fabric.

alanseijas
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you thin it down (what did you use)? What was the ratio? Thanks!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple tap water. Just see how it goes as you work with it. And you can do multiple coats.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: