Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: generation of power in your style. Reply with quote

This may be a simple question, but I hope it will be one that is also thought-provoking.

In your style, what is the major philosophy on how power behind a technique is generated?

In Tang Soo Do (I don't think I'm giving away any secrets here ) We say that the key to power lies within the hips. When we execute a technique, the hips really swing in time with the strike, to the extent that one's belt ends are flying from one side of the body to the other. There is more to it than the hips of course, but this is the main emphasis in addition to thrusting forward with the legs.

Obviously, a beginner's use of the hips will look a lot more obvious to the observer than someone who has learned to use it efficiently. The Korean styles in general tend to have an almost whipping motion, with large circular motions.

From what I've seen of Shotokan practitioners, and others, this doesn't appear to be the case. It would seem fair to say that the techniques are kept much closer to the body, are very tight motions that almost seem to retract a bit on contact.

Keep in mind I have no experience in other arts, and can only speak from my own observations.. I have no intent of disputing or insulting anyone else's method. I'm just curious

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In American Kenpo, there are three primary methods of power generation:

*Torque- any twisting motion of the body as you strike or move.

*Backup Mass- proper alignment and momentum; getting your body behind the strike or move.

*Mariage of Gravity- any time there is a settling or downward component to a strike or move.

There are many concepts that also contribute to power; speed, hips, useing stance changes, bringing all components of a move together at the moment of impact, borrowed force, opposing forces, ... there is a long list. But all are used in conjunction with and to enhance or make possible one or more of the three major principles.

In Taiji, of course, we make qi balls and throw them at our opponent!
(Sorry, but I didn't think anybody would take me seriousely if I started talking about keeping channels of qi open, useing constant motion as opposed to static moves, rooting, kingship, etc.)

I'll let you know after I do TKD as an actual practitioner for a while- ask again in about a year. What I've seen so far, they like to put a lot of hip onto moves. A lot of opposing forces (chamber one as the other strikes). Their self defenses use stance changes well. Actually, I think most of the power principles and concepts of AK can be found, or used, in TKD- especially when useing their fighting stance (which is somewhere between the AK neutral bow and a basic Hapkido stance).

Modern Arnis- sticks and blades. What more can you say than that?

Good topic, by the way!

Jussi Häkkinen
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hip rotation and shifting mass towards the target. Gravity when useful. Could be said that it's pretty much of a no-nonsense approach.
Finland

telsun
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju-ryu, Ju-jitsu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okinawan Goju - Power comes from the ground initially. Hips play a major part (of course), Body has a heavy, but relaxed feel moving towards target. Focus is primarily in the tanden realised by correct breathing and contraction.
Obviously if you are quick with good technique you will be powerful. Or if you are naturally strong you will be powerful............if you are big, strong and fast with good technique then lookout

hajime
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hips, hips, hips hurray

seriously in Wado Ryu it's in the hips, as well as timing and speed of course but pivot on those hips.

it's why you don't need to have muscular arms to hit powerfully. Technique is 100% more important.

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: IOGKF Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telsun wrote:
Okinawan Goju - Power comes from the ground initially. Hips play a major part (of course), Body has a heavy, but relaxed feel moving towards target. Focus is primarily in the tanden realised by correct breathing and contraction.
Obviously if you are quick with good technique you will be powerful. Or if you are naturally strong you will be powerful............if you are big, strong and fast with good technique then lookout

Good one - I was trying to think of the answer and I read your post and it said exactly what I was gonna say!

stuart
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only a novice (white belt) but I am told by my Sensei

When doing forward kicks/kin Geri to put my hips into it, to thrust them forward.

To do techniques down you centre line, i.e punching through the middle, NOT tramlining.

And to remember that in F=Ma (My sensei has a Masters in Physics)
Force= Mass x Acceleration. So Your mass is constant, if you through more mass into a technique you will most probably be putting yourself off balance. You can however accelerate, do this upto and past the point of impact in all your punches/kicks and they will be much more powerful than if you have reached maximum speed at the point of impact.

Just a couple of concepts I've picked up on in my short time in the martial Arts.

telsun
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju-ryu, Ju-jitsu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goju1 wrote:
Good one - I was trying to think of the answer and I read your post and it said exactly what I was gonna say!

I'm glad you agree

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotating, or throwing your hips and shoulders into techniqeus is a good way to generate power...if you make contact with you opponent.

We don't do that.

Rather, our power is generated by the "snap" at the end of the technique. I'm not saying rotaing hips/shoulders is wrong, but it can throw you off balance and can leave you rather vulnerable if you don't land the blow.

With practice and being relaxed, you can generate quite a bit of power focusing on the snap at the end of a punch, kick or block.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorinryu Sensei wrote:
Rotating, or throwing your hips and shoulders into techniqeus is a good way to generate power...if you make contact with you opponent. ... I'm not saying rotaing hips/shoulders is wrong, but it can throw you off balance and can leave you rather vulnerable if you don't land the blow.

I suppose it can, especially if you "throw" your body parts into a technique. But it doesn't have to, and won't if you do it right.

Are you saying Shorinyu Kempo doesn't square the hips in some moves or techniques, or just that you don't throw them?

Quote:
With practice and being relaxed, you can generate quite a bit of power.

Those two seem to be key to most styles. But please, tell me you aren't one of those instructors who stands with his mouth next to a students ear and screams "Relax!!! You motherless... ," You just gotta love those guys!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: