Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Getting a student signed off by a doctor Reply with quote

When our classes started resuming last year I have a particular female student who is 16 that couldn't come back because they were still feeling the effects of a concussion. I said at the time before they return I would like the doctor to sign off before she comes back.

That was about 5 months ago, the Dad has recently mentioned about her returning (her Dad trains in the same class) I mentioned the doctors again and he said they weren't planning on going to see the doctor and thinks enough time has past and that she no longer feels the effect of it and wants to try and get back into training just taking it easy to start with.

I have expressed that I would like a doctor to sign her off, but the father is fine with her returning... am I just being too careful or should I refuse the return until they go to the doctors?

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately it's your dojo and if you're uncomfortable with her coming back without a doctor's release then that's that. You know the situation, you're familiar with the girl, so that's going to play a lot in to it.

Personally, I'm given to think that she is fine. 5 months is enough time. I would maybe have her take it slow the first few classes just to be extra sure that she's fully healed and when I was confident of this I would allow her to go 100%. That said, I'm certainly not a doctor, and I don't think that wanting a doctor's release is being too careful. A part of my opinion comes from being a part of the American Healthcare system, which can mean that a significant bill for something like this. If I recall, you're in Australia. Not sure how things go over there but if it's better, then I don't see why not.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things come to my mind.

We're not doctors, for the most part, and we're not THEIR doctor.

We're not the parents.

They're students.

We're owners/CI of our MA school.

What I'd consider is to speak to my attorney first about this issue in order to find out what are my rights and obligations according to the law. As owner/CI, our first responsibility is to the business, myself, and my Student Body. One wrong thing can spell the end in a blink of an eye.

I'd tread slowly and carefully, and as it's already been mentioned, it's your school, and you've the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason(s). Now, the devil in me says to tell the father that this is my decision, and if the father can't abide by them, then there's the door...in a professional way.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were in the US, I would say that it's not feasible for a lot of people to get a doctor's note just to say that they are cleared to participate again, because most people can barely afford to go to a doctor when they actually have a problem, much less once the problem has gone away. Given that you're in the UK, though, I suppose that's less of an issue?

I would second Bob's suggestion of checking with an attorney, just because there are some legal considerations when you get into medical documentation and private health information. In the end, though, it's up to you on whether you feel safe taking her back on as a student without the doctor's note. Normally, concussions can be recovered from in a matter of a few weeks, but if I recall the studies I saw several years ago correctly, that can be drawn out to many, many months if the concussed person isn't able to fully rest their brain, and I would guess that a 16 year old has probably been focusing quite a bit on school.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's been 6 months, I would think she is probably better and could participate without any issues. Does she participate in any other physical activities, and has she been participating in them without issue? If she is, then I wouldn't see why she shouldn't be allowed to come back. Nor do I think a doctor should be able to exert that much control over what someone does or doesn't do.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, all of you have voiced what has been going round in my head which has been very helpful seeing it in the forum and helped me come to a decision. Thanks everyone!

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
Thanks for the input, all of you have voiced what has been going round in my head which has been very helpful seeing it in the forum and helped me come to a decision. Thanks everyone!

I hope that whatever decision(s) you make, benefits all concerned in this matter. Assuming can get everyone involved in this matter a heap load of headaches in so many ways. Be smart and keep your head above water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: